LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Some new Species

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Some new Species

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Annwhite 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author

torso
    Participant

@barb Man said:
    What do you feed them? I wonder what would make them breed (live food, water change, more tannins, cold/warm water change). Has anyone found trucks to inducing beta species to breed?

Breeding is easy. Water parameters should fit, feeding all sorts of living and frozen stuff. It seems, the male is not in the mood, sometimes a bit tattered, changing into the next tank, coming back or female following.

Breeding of Petruichtys seems to be no problem, saving the eggs tricky. As I don’t really like these species, I didn’t insist and changed them to the large tank. A layer of coarse gravel seems to help, for Petruichthys as well as for Sewellia.

By the way: Ambastaia seem rather difficult. May be I get a new shipment of A. nigrolineta one day to retry it.

Cheers Charles

Matt
    Keymaster

They don’t like you, either.Laugh

torso
    Participant

I just detected some more young P. brevis. Stopped feeding for two days. That makes them come out of the jungle Smile

Cheers Charles

olly
    Participant

Really great! I believed that young P. brevis is not alone

mikev
    Participant

Great news – very envious…! The only nicely shaped loach :P

torso
    Participant

Some new pics of P. brevis. The inbringing of coarse gravel at the backside did work and at least half a dozen youngsters are buzzing through the tank.

A curious female visited the net. Size: 6 cm

CSC_7582.jpg

DSC_7542.jpg

CSC_7589.jpg

DSC_7547.jpg

the first one has grown up to 4 cm

CSC_7553.jpg

the rest has just 3 cm or less

DSC_7569.jpg

Cheers Charles

mikev
    Participant

Great photos as always :D

Last photo: baby colors or young female? Former, I’d think?

Charles, any recommendations on how to set up a tank to max their chances of breeding?

torso
    Participant

It’s the orange I mentioned above, Mike. They lose that strong coloration becoming older.

For  the tank: at least 80×35, a lot of Anubias and a thick layer of coarse river gravel up to 18 mm. Half of the 160×60 tank is overgrown with Cryptos, the rest contains large root wood with Anubias from bottom to the water surface. It seems, they spawn in the shelter of the root woods over the gravel. Perhaps a method with a large plastic-container filled with gravel and a root wood with Anubias covering it, would work too, but I don’t know, if they accept a restricted area as that for the spawning. Seems they didn’t in a 80×35, as no offspring appeared.

Due to that tank set, dozens of young S. lineolata survive, despite A. nigrolineata, Kyathit, large Garras etc. I hope to get some A. nigrolineata one day that way.

Cheers Charles

Shazray

Hi all… newby to this forum… Charles, I’m thinking of getting a group of Ambastaia nigrolineata. Can you tell me a bit about your experience with them? Do you think they would be suited to a community tank / species only tank? Also, do they eat snails?

Thanks!Cool

mikev
    Participant

Thanks a lot for the info, Charles,

Hmm… 80cm tank… hopefully 76cm is good enough (standard 20 Long)… and garras for tankmates actually sounds very good.

Just one followup question: filtration … do you have a flow (powerhead) in there?

torso
    Participant

Hi Shazray

Most of my experiences make part of the profile. At least 80 cm for a group of 6-8 specimen. Not a community-tank, but company of going together with other species is possible in  larger tanks. I would tend to species tank with a setup made for the special needs. Yes, they eat snails, but on the other hand I see still some P. corneus and N. vittata in the large tank.

@mikev said:
    Thanks a lot for the info, Charles,
    Hmm… 80cm tank… hopefully 76cm is good enough (standard 20 Long)… and garras for tankmates actually sounds very good.
    Just one followup question: filtration … do you have a flow (powerhead) in there?

a foam filter, 50x15x15, 20 dpi, within a 1000 liter Rena powerhead connected to an air-pump for diffusion of oxygen.

Cheers Charles

mikev
    Participant

Thank you, Charles!

Anders247
    Participant

Very nice fish!

Annwhite
    Participant

elassoma is so cute!Kiss

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.