LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Some Spanish ‘phibians

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters Some Spanish ‘phibians

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Thomas 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Here are some photos of critters from the Lakes of Covadonga in Asturias, northern Spain, which were actually taken in August 2012 but I’d completely forgotten about them!

Ichthyosaura alpestris (cyreni) – terrestrial phase

0004.jpg0005.jpg0015.jpg

Alytes obstetricans

0017.jpg

Lissotriton helveticus (helveticus)

0014.jpg0013.jpg

Habitats

000.jpg0007.jpg

0001.jpg0003.jpg

Thomas

Very nice! No Triturus pygmaeus or marmoratus there? Or are they located more in southern spain?

Matt
    Keymaster

Think this might have been too high for T. marmoratus (?); the lakes are at more than 1100 metres above sea level) but it does occur at lower altitudes in Asturias. We do have that species here in Catalunya as well butT. pygmaeus is strictly a southern species. When you come to take your Cobitis we can go to see T. marmoratus, Salamandra and stuff if you like. Wink

Thomas

When you come to take your Cobitis

I must warn you, I want “river Tormes paludica” as well Laugh, sadly this river is very far away from barca

http://sandkauer.de/Bilder/C_paludica3.jpg

oaken
    Participant

Nice pictures. Looks like a lovely place! Thought the name helveticus was a bit funny at first, but after I googled it it made more sense (the Swedish word helvete means hell).

Matt
    Keymaster

Thomas, we passed that river on our way to these mountains! If only I’d known…Yell

It is a wonderful place Gustav – the only way up is by a pretty scary bus ride but apart from that it’s all good.

Matt
    Keymaster

Some pics taken last night in the comarca of Alt Empordà, around the Spanish/French border. A slightly disappointing evening as most places were very dry.

0.jpg01.jpg02.jpg

Triturus marmoratus – nuptial male.

1.jpg2.jpg

Discoglossus pictus (auritus)

3.jpg

oaken
    Participant

Cool! Did you go there just to check out the amphibians or are there fishy reasons to go there as well?

Thomas

Cool Matt, I’m not a big fan of the crested newt group, but I like the marmoratus and pygmaeus. :)

Matt
    Keymaster

I was helping a classmate collect Discoglossus for a project investigating its range expansion in Spain – it’s invasive here. Unfortunately it was so dry we only saw the one specimen. Good excuse to go back in a few weeks. :)

Matt
    Keymaster

Visited Barcelona zoo’s Calotriton arnoldi breeding project today. :) This is the Montseny brook newt and is probably the most endangered amphibian in Europe. Pic quality not great – through two panes of glass and not much light.

Calotriton-1.jpgCalotriton-2.jpg

Thomas

Another spanish ‘phib, the iberian ribbed newt

Pleurodeles6.jpg

Have you ever caught or seen them in the wild?

Matt
    Keymaster

No, but it’s one of my missions this spring!

Thomas

Smile

Pleuro2.jpg

Not my newt, only a guest :)

Matt
    Keymaster

Handsome chap. :) First try to look for this species in two weeks. Hope to find T. pygmaeus and some other stuff, too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.