LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Spawning Devario acrostomus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Spawning Devario acrostomus

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  BallAquatics 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

BallAquatics
    Participant

About 6 weeks ago I was fortunate enough to pick up a bag of these at my local fish clubs fall auction.  I put them in a 20 gallon long tank with a heavy growth of vallisneria over about 75% of the tank.  The tank is un-heated with water temperatures in the high 60’s, low 70’s.  I’ve been feeding them live daphnia along with meaty pellet foods, (earthworm, shrimp, etc.), and the occasional algae wafer.

This morning while working in the fish room, I dipped out a couple of dozen fry.  As the adults are close to 3 inches in length, the fry are able to hide out in the tangle of vallisneria at the waters surface.

800x788_fry_001

Dennis

BillT
    Participant

Nice Dennis!

I looked up the profile on this species in the KB.

I find it interesting that the species has barbels.
    I was under the impression that Devarios, as opposed to Danios, did not have barbels.

An exception, a misclassification (seems unlikely to me), or was my understanding of this wrong?

BallAquatics
    Participant

Per Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devario)

The genus Devario comprises some danionins familiar to aquarists. Generally, they are larger fish than species of the genus Danio, they have short barbels (if present at all), and generally have deeper bodies than Danio species, with species having vertical or horizontal stripes present. In size, they range from 5 to 15 cm (2 to 6 in).

Dennis

Matt
    Keymaster

Somehow missed this thread earlier, how are the fry doing Dennis?

I think that D. acrostomus is the only Devario species with long rostral barbels with most having a short maxillary pair.

BallAquatics
    Participant

@matt said:
    Somehow missed this thread earlier, how are the fry doing Dennis?

Very well Matt, thank you for asking.  They are in a green water tank with quite a number of Moina for a constant food source. Once they start to show some markings, I’ll try to get some photos to document their growth.

Dennis

BallAquatics
    Participant

Here’s a couple shots of the adults in their Vallisneria jungle…..

1280x1024_adults_002

1024x544_adults_001

The fry seem to be rather slow growing. I have about 2 dozen living in a green water tank with Monia, and another 2 dozen still in with the adults.  At 6 weeks old they are only about .5 inches in length.  One factor may be the rather cool water temperatures in the fish room at this time of year.

Dennis

Matt
    Keymaster

Handsome fish aren’t they?

BallAquatics
    Participant

Well the fry are around 3 months old now and starting to look like miniature adults.

Acrostomus fry at 3 months

It’s been a very cold winter here in Ohio and temperatures in the fish room have been on the chilly side. This may have lead to the fry growing at a reduced rate.

Acrostomus fry at 3 months

Devario acrostomus adults

The adults have continued to spawn on a somewhat regular basis and there appears to be a small number of fry from 3 or 4 different spawns living with the adults.

Devario acrostomus adults

Dennis

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.