LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Spawning Otocinclus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Spawning Otocinclus

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Tomas 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

BallAquatics
    Participant

Back around the first of the year, one the large chain-type pet stores was running a sale on Otocinclus cats for $1 each.  I have wanted to set these guys up for spawning for the past several years so I purchased a bag of them.

Well after 4 months of growing them to adult size and fattening them up, they have spawned for me.  I’m keeping them in 100% rain water with the temperature at 78F.  They are eating algae from anubias plants I rotate in and out of the tank, spirulina sticks, veggie wafers, and Repashy “Soilent Green” gel food.

Newly hatched with yoke sac attached…..

2 to 3 days old…..

3 weeks old…..

It has now been almost a month since I spotted the first fry.  There are currently 3 groups of fry present in the tank.  2 from the first spawn at .5+ inches in length, 5 from the second spawn at .25+ inches, and an unknown number of new fry at less than .25 inches.

Dennis

Rüdiger
    Participant

Brilliant Dennis,

any idea which Oto species it is?

Regards

R.

BallAquatics
    Participant

@Rüdiger said:
    any idea which Oto species it is?

Thanks Rüdiger!

Well I have it on good authority that I have both Otocinclus mariae and O. vestitus in the tank.  Once the fry are a bit bigger I should be able to tell.  I’m reluctant to start moving the adults around at this time.

Here’s the photo the fish were IDed from…..

The middle fish is the Otocinclus mariae, there at 2 of these in the tank.  The other two are the Otocinclus vestitus, there are 4 of these in the tank.

Dennis

mikev
    Participant

Fantastic news — congratulations!

Did you manage to see the eggs?

(I had a couple of babies in a heavily planted 55g with about ten otos and other small fish… but I never saw fry, eggs, and still wonder how they did it).

Matt
    Keymaster

That is brilliant Dennis, congratulations! Are you able to show us the tank itself?

BallAquatics
    Participant

@mikev said:
    Did you manage to see the eggs? 

Thanks Mike.  Unfortunately I have not seen any eggs.  I have watched the fish clean the undersides of anubias leaves and then assume the classic “T” spawning posture, but as the leaves curl in towards the center of the plant I am unable to see the undersides where the eggs are being deposited.

Dennis

BallAquatics
    Participant

@matt said:
    Are you able to show us the tank itself?

Thanks Matt.  I can try to get a photo of the tank, but it’s nothing special.  It’s a standard 10 gallon US sized tank, (20″ x 10″ x 12″), with a corner HMF.  It has a small crypt wendtii in a terracotta pot and a couple of anubias plants, one is a very dense dwarf variety and appears to be the main area of spawning activity.  It has my standard course black gravel substrate.

Prior to finding the first fry, I was rotating anubias plants in and out of the tank letting the fish do a bit of algae clean-up on them.

The tank is positioned in the rack with the narrow end pointing out, and as such in not very photogenic.

Dennis

Tomas

Otothyropsis piribebuy.

Tomas

1.-D-1-day.JPG2.-D-+-1-hour.JPG4.-D-+-10-hours.JPG6.-D-+-1-day.JPG9.-D-+-7-days-1.JPG

mikev
    Participant

Great job!

no parental care at all, right?

Tomas

Thanks Michael.

It’s true.

BallAquatics
    Participant

I have the chance to obtain some Otothyropsis piribebuy at our next club meeting in June.  My friend Jeremy says they are fairly easy to spawn.  I’m thinking I should give them a try as well!

Are you keeping yours in soft low TDS water Tomas?  Fantastic photos by the way!

Dennis

Tomas

Thanks Dennis.

Spawning is realy easy, but I have a problem with a high mortality of pups. I can’t find the reason for death :cry:.

Water parameters: T – 25°C, KH – 1, GH – 2 and pH – 6,5.

Tomas

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.