LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Speaking Of Badids …

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Speaking Of Badids …

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Stefan 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Rhaethe
    Participant

Hi there

I’d seen some other threads but wasn’t sure if I should resurrect them after a certain point, or just start new … or which.

Anywho, I’ve come across a fish on aquabid that is labeled “Giant Indian Pajama Badis”. When I asked the seller what the species name was, he said that the supplier didn’t even know. The seller seemed fairly knowledgeable and supplied species names for his other listings, so I am inclined to believe what he has to say.

The fish being sold is at 1.5-2 inches. I tried several searches which did indicate a Dario species as a “pyjama badis” as one of its sell-names … but it doesn’t get that large. The markings didn’t seem similar either.

So! I then cracked open Seriously Fish and started to try and identify myself. The fish pictured looked a bit washed out, but even then, I couldn’t really find a fish that fit the pattern and -wasn’t- already fairly well known amongst suppliers.

Thought I might show an image of the fish here, and get opinions on possible species name. The auction itself is ended, but I am tempted to ask the seller if the fish is still available.

The image is here: http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz147/c…ge/DSC_4828.jpg

Stefan

Another fancy name for another well-known badid: Badis blosyrus (200 % sure). A very nice fish!

Rhaethe
    Participant

QUOTE (Stefan @ Mar 11 2011, 01:31 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Another fancy name for another well-known badid: Badis blosyrus (200 % sure). A very nice fish!

That was the one I was leaning toward, after careful study. But I wasn’t sure. At all, because the colors were so washed out. This means I am learning how to identify then. Woo!

And yes, blosyrus does appear to be a very nice fish. I am so very tempted to contact the seller and see if are still available.

Stefan

Go for it (and beware he/she/they might deny the ID, because sp. sells more fish than blosyrus

Rhaethe
    Participant

Ah well, they don’t appear to have any more.

A local breeder does happen to have some badis badis, however.

So, now I must decide if I want to branch out my fish room into badis … or keep to the colisa / trichogaster species. Which, outside of chain petshops that only traffic in kissing / dwarf / three spot varieties …. are really really hard for me to find.

Stefan

Badis might mix well with gourami spp.; the former occupy the bottom and the latter higher levels. Blosyrus does turn up quite often so keep an eye out

Author
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.