LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Speaking Of Gobies

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Speaking Of Gobies

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Bully 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

These are on Glazer’s list this week – Schismatogobius ampluvinculus.

Blurb: “We received for the first time now this cute goby from Taiwan. Especially the juveniles look extreme pretty due to their contrasting black-and-white coloration. One of the generic characteristics of Schismatogobius is the fact that they have an individual coloration: there are not even two specimens with the exact same coloration. Adults of Schismatogobius are restricted to fresh water. Here they live usually in larger groups in shallow parts of running water bodies. When disturbed they bury themselves very fast by wriggling moves. The species S. ampluvinculus is known to inhabit pebbly ground.

Attached files

Bully
    Participant

Very nice, and just look at the size of the mouths on the adults!

Matt
    Keymaster

Cool-looking, no? I guess the smaller fish in the last pic is a female?

Bully
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Feb 6 2010, 08:27 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Cool-looking, no? I guess the smaller fish in the second pic is a female?

Certainly looks that way

Matt
    Keymaster

Update on this – after keeping these for a few days the people at Glaser have discovered that the black and white colouration isn’t juvenile patterning. The next two photos allegedly show the same specimen:

If this is true I want some even more now.

Attached files

afroturf
    Participant

Great fish, I manage to get 2 a year or so back, different species poss S. marmoratus they were both male going by mouth size and as bully mentioned they do use their mouths in territorial disputes, its really impressive they can open almost 180 degrees the ones species I have have a bright yellow/orange mouth. Unfortunatly one died soon after purchasing it, but the other is still going strong, one of my favourite fish really interesting character although he does spent 99% of the time buried in the sand.

Matt
    Keymaster

Some more pictures with Japanese text. Looks like the same species? Look at the gape on the fish at the bottom!

Bully
    Participant

They do seem very similar. Great shot of the mouth!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.