LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Steatocranus Casuarius

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Steatocranus Casuarius

This topic contains 24 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

dunc
    Keymaster

Since seeing the S. tinanti in Brian’s shop (Penshaw Aquatics, well worth a visit people African Red-eyed Tetra. How compatible are they? I’ll be really throwing the water around in that tank.

Matt
    Keymaster

What size is the tank mate? A. spilopterus get pretty big and are right nippy sods in my experience.

dunc
    Keymaster

Only a three footer, so nowt huge. Knew there was something I’d forgotten to mention /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

We-ell I reckon maybe some Alestopetersius, commonest species is Yellow-tailed Congo tetra A. caudalis (if you can find nigropterus which is the one in my avatar I may have to kill you dry.gif ) or African barbs of some kind would be better choices mate. Those red-eyes can be quite boisterous and greedy at feeding time and might look a bit cramped in a 3-footer.

Also you don´t need to create tons of water flow like in a hillstream loach tank for Steatocranus. I´ve kept casuarius and they´re a bit like the Teleocichla I had in that they tend to stay out of the main water flow unless feeding. They prefer stiller areas the rest of the time but will appreciate some flow. An internal or external filter that´s rated for a tank a size or two above yours should do the job and that´ll give you more options for potential tankmates too. Just make sure the water´s really well-oxygenated by using a venturi or adding an airstone or two.

dunc
    Keymaster

Cheers Mr Ford. The filter in there is already OTT aaannnddd I’ve got an air pump in for the fry, so it’s all good /ohmy.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:o” border=”0″ alt=”ohmy.gif” /> Any recommendations?

Brian had a couple of female A. caudalis in and I did wonder if your avatar was a similar species. The fish in your avatar is particularly stunning, I certainly wouldn’t say no. It’d be like the peacock gobies all over again…

Matt
    Keymaster

Rocky set-up perfect. Try to get proper rounded river rocks if you can and use a mix of sand and gravel as substrate. I hate that tufa stuff. You could chuck in a few plant pots or something if you can´t get enough rocks to form a decent network of caves which ideally they should have.

My recommendations would be Barbus fasciolatus aka Barbus barilioides (second name now invalid and our pics REALLY don´t do it justice) or Barbus jae (see pic below) but that´s only because they´re the only two Africans I´ve kept. I´m sure Mick or someone will have some other ideas. Should be a really nice little set-up whatever you choose mate. /dry.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”<_ <" border="0" alt="dry.gif">

Attached files

dunc
    Keymaster

That Barbus jae looks bloody gorgeous.

Cheers Matt, will keep this updated. If Brian can’t get casuarius in, Trimar have them in stock. Have e-mailed asking for pics.. I’m pretty set on this now I think

Matt
    Keymaster

Why not try tinanti, by the way?

dunc
    Keymaster

I looked at both species a while back but it was the pictures of the casuarius that really got me interested in the first place. This picture = godlike:

(© Hippocampus-Bildarchiv)

Matt
    Keymaster

Lol, cool

Attached files

dunc
    Keymaster

Yeah they are indeed a pretty little thing. TBH with the “dithers” it’s a case of picking something that’s available – haven’t seen either species of those barbs available up here or on Trimar’s list. Pah!

Matt
    Keymaster

Just wait for Mick, Keith et al dood, they may well be able to help on that score…

mickthefish
    Participant

sorry but i don’t think either of these two sp as beautiful as they are could live with the casuarius, they’re delicare b*gg*r especially the jae, fasciolatus are a bigger fish but they’re pretty meek and mild fish, trouble is with the african barbs that we get most are pretty bland in the looks department, i’d go with one of the asians as they don’t mind abit of roughness something like fasciatus there you have a fish with abit of colour and pattern as well as it being robust.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Ah good point Mick. /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” />

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE(dunc @ Jun 27 2008, 02:17 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It’d be like the peacock gobies all over again… /ph34r.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:ph34r:” border=”0″ alt=”ph34r.gif” />

and pertaining to your question, what about Aurelius Barbs? Puntius arulius aka
    Puntius tambraparniei
    They are big, very pretty, easy to sex, easy to find, and from Africa!

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.