LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Stiphodon Sp

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Plaamoo 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I picked up 6 Stiphodon yesterday, no name was on them in the shop and from what photo’s I have looked at I was thinking Stiphodon atropurpureus possibly?

Matt
    Keymaster

This is one of those we haven’t managed to identify yet – possibly S. atratus or undescribed. We’re listing it as S. sp. ‘ST02’ at the moment but I suspect the images there show several different species. Looks like you got all males from the pics!

Plaamoo
    Participant

Welcome to the stiphodon club Mark, great fish! AKA “rainbow sp.” on some threads. Females have been very difficult for me to find. Seems the distributer here mixed them all up and the females i see are either s. semoni(sold as s. atropurpureus) or “orange fin” sp. I finally found a single female of this sp. in a shop last week, I think.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Beautiful fish !

torso
    Participant

for moments I thougt that too, Mark. it’s the species on the importers list as stiphodon “gold” or “gold spot” round here.
    one thing is very interesting: the golden mauth/cheek-part can be turquoise – as the borders of the unpaired fins are – with the tank-lighting. I tried to catch that with all tricks I know with my camera, in vain. the pics always show the golden colour.

I agree, Matt that there are differences in coluoring and size.
    I have six of this smaller type, but it could be just younger specimen. if the striped one in the profile is really a female and not another species there would be hardly females on sale. the rest of my specimen – about 20 – would be all males. and apparently the stock at the importer – some hundreds – as well.

Attached files

Plaamoo
    Participant

Nice group Charles! Pics 10 & 11 are a different species, “ST 01” orange fin male.

The only way i’ve been able to capture the blue on the gills is to not use a flash. It’s very difficult to get a good shot in such low light!

Matt
    Keymaster

Nice Charles and Jim is right – you have two species there!

afroturf
    Participant

Charles you mention the blue colouring of the males I believe this colouring come out very much in the presence of females, I’ve had a pair of S. ‘rainbow’ for 2-3 yrs which I delieve to be quite old and the male when I first got it was more gold after while it colours were much different and the blue was easily photographed, now with the onset of old age the colours have reverted back to the usual colours.

Its a real shame the first few Stiphodon I brought I managed to get some females, I haven’t see any females for years now.

Great pics Mark, some beautiful fish you got there.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Thanks guys and lovely pics Charles.

I have tried for some more photos but they are still a little skittish but calming down by the day, they had a good feed on bosmids yesterday and seem to have settled nicely. The shop I got these from had another couple of Stiphodons in and now I am tempted to go back and get some more.

torso
    Participant

some pics with a 500 w floodlight. don’t blame me for the qualitiy, please
    stiphodon st01
    colours won’t change, black dorsal spots etc are visible

stiphodon sp st02
    “rainbow” seems a different species? this one is rather “gold”?
    the same specimen within seconds with and without flashlight

Attached files

afroturf
    Participant

I don’t really seem to have any pics with real gold colour, but got some of verious stages of blue, –

Mark I definatly surgest you pic up some other species they’re great fish what other types were on offer?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

The others were:

The other they had was a bit like #2 but was a stiphodon and had a green all over colouration, I think they had around 5 species of stiphodon in total.

Plaamoo
    Participant

#1 is female s. semoni to my eye.
    #3 looks like one Matt had a paper on recently, can’t remember name, he will. I’ve never seen it!
    Why didn’t you get them all????? I want to see the green one!

Are there any jobs for aging chippies/joiners over there? You guys get cooler fish!

Matt
    Keymaster

See this thread.

Jim what’s a “chippie” in US English? Over here it’s a slang term for a fish ‘n’ chip shop/fish ‘n’ chip shop owner!

Kajsa12
    Participant

The other they had was a bit like #2 but was a stiphodon and had a green all over colouration

Did it look like this one?

I think next pic. would be a Stiphodon sp. ‘Rainbow’ (ST02) female, but I’m not 100 % sure.
    They came in together with #1 in your last post ( like Jim, I believe that would be a female S. semoni) separately from the males.
    I have 7 females ST02, but there are some little differences between them.
    Most of them do not show any colour in the fins, but two of them have some orange in both dorsal fins.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.