LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Stiphodon spp.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Stiphodon spp.

This topic contains 230 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 290 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Which species do members here keep and what are you feeding them?

Plaamoo
    Participant

Identifying species in stiphodon is difficult to say the least Matt. I’m guessing you’ve seen this thread?
    http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=15686
    I have at least three species:
    1. They were sold as “red neon goby” and odyssey refers to them as “rainbow” species.
    2. The species odyssey refers to as “orange fin”. Sold as s. elegans to me but I doubt that has any validity.
    3. Sold as s. atropupureus, “coblat blue” goby
    The “rainbow” species I’ve had for some time and they’ve gone from algae grazers to battling with the rainbows in the tank, up in the open water at the top of the tank, for bloodworms etc. They also battle with the gastomyzons for algae wafer so they’ve become agressive feeders with plump bellies. They do still graze away on the rocks when there’s nothing else.
    The other 2 species are farily new and I haven’t seen them eat anything I’ve offered yet, other than algae. I’d recommend treating them like gastomyzons and supply plenty of mature algae/aufwuchs for them to graze. If they make the switch to offered foods, great, but don’t count on it. Someone at yahoo goby group offered the opinion that too much protien can bind their gut and cause seious peoblems. Haven’t seen any problems with mine but I make sure they have plenty of green in their diet.

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Jim, I saw your comment on Petfrd and decided to try to do something about it.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Good on ya Matt! If you haven’t already, you may join the yahoo goby group. Helen Larsen, Ron Watson and others respond to posts on ocassion and I beleive some of their personal emails are available. It can take a while to get a response.
    I would guess odyssey would be willing to join the effort also.

Matt
    Keymaster

I already got hold of a few species descriptions and should have most of the others soonish – willing to send these on to whoever’s interested. The older ones like elegans and the ones from the journal ‘Aqua’ are proving tricky to find though so consider this an official request for help! I guess pics of live fishes will be lacking but let’s see if we can piece something together.

Plaamoo
    Participant

I’d be interested in anything you find Matt. I only know odyssey from LOL but he seems very firendly and willing to share. Communication may be a bit challenging. I’ll PM him and invite him over.
    Also will be happy to supply pics of mine if I can make them good enough.

Bully
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Feb 5 2010, 11:37 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I already got hold of a few species descriptions and should have most of the rest by Monday – willing to send these on to whoever’s interested.

I would love to get a hold of the species descriptions you have Matt!

I have quite a few papers of various goby species that I can let you have, though I imagine anything I have, you can get a hold of yourself?

Bully
    Participant

OK, here is what I have in relation to gobies in general, not just restricted to Stiphodon:

Amphidromy in Hawiian hillstream fishes
    Amphidromy in Stiphodon and other species
    Early hatch a strategy for safe downstream larval transport in amphidromous gobies
    Egg and clutch sizes of a goby Rhinogobius giurinus
    FRESHWATER BIOTAS OF NEW GUINEA
    Freshwater Biotas of the Solomon Islands – some decent images of fish and biotopes.
    Freshwater Fishes of Tetepare Island
    Genetic diversity of Sicyopterus japonicus
    Lentipes kaaeaSicydiinae goby
    Pelagic larval duration and morphology at recruitment of Stiphodon percnopterygionus.
    Rhinogobius brunneus in the Arabian gulf
    Rhinogobius giurinus subspecies
    Rhinogobius honghensis
    Rhinogobius longyanensis description
    Rhinogobius zhoui description (in Chinese)
    Schismatogobius fuligimentus
    Schismatogobius vanuatuensis description
    Sicydium from the Dominican Republic
    Sicydium punctatum PhD thesis
    Sicyopterus aiensis
    Sicyopterus rapa
    Sicyopus chloe description
    Stipdon carisa description
    Stiphodon astilbos description
    Stiphodon aureorostrum
    Stiphodon julieni description
    Stiphodon percnopterygionus larval recruitment
    Stiphodon sapphirinus description
    Surveys of the rivers of Pohnpei (gobies)
    Taxonomic review of Rhinogobius
    The gobies of headwater streams of Micronesia
    Three Rhinogobius from Laos
    Variation in Rhinogobius rubromaculatus

Plaamoo
    Participant

Yikes! Where do you find all this stuff Bully? I’d love to have anything relating to the stiphodon/sicydium type gobies. The papers on amphidromy sound very interesting!

Matt
    Keymaster

Google is your friend Jim. /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Plaamoo
    Participant

I think I need google search lessons, I rarely find anything worthwhile.

Bully, are you keeping any of these at the moment?

Bully
    Participant

Yes, Google is your friend

Matt
    Keymaster

Bully can I have the following please?

Plaamoo
    Participant

Inspired by Bully’s list I had to have another go on google this morning! I did find this.
    http://palau2009blog.tropicalmarineecology.org/.
    Interesting because it’ the first I’ve found pics (near the bottom of the page) of surely identified s. elegans.

Matt
    Keymaster

Here are the only pics of live specimens from the papers I have:

S. aureorostrum: Chen, I.-S. and H.H. Tan 2005. A new species of freshwater goby (Teleostei: Gobiidae: Stiphodon) from Palau Tioman, Pahang, Peninsular Malaysia. Raffles Bull. Zool. 53(2):237-242.

Male:

S. julieni: Keith, P., R.E. Watson and G. Marquet 2002. Stiphodon julieni, a new species of freshwater goby (Teleostei: Gobioidei: Sicydiinae) from Rapa, French Polynesia. Bull. Fr. Pêche Piscic. 364:161-171.

Male:

Female:

S. mele: Keith, P., Marquet, G. & Pouily, M. 2009. Stiphodon mele n. sp., a new species of freshwater goby from Vanuatu and New Caledonia (Teleostei, Gobiidae, Sicydiinae), and comments about amphidromy and regional dispersion. Zoosystema, 31(3): 471-483.

Male:

S. sapphirinus: Watson, R.E., P. Keith and G. Marquet 2005. Stiphodon sapphirinus, a new species of freshwater goby from New Caledonia (Gobioidei: Sicydiinae). Cybium 29(4):339-345.

Pair, male upper.

Attached files

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 290 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.