LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Stiphodon variants

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Stiphodon variants

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Duffill 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

This is just to expand the discussion on something Henri spotted within his Stiphodon sp. ‘ST01’, namely that some specimens have larger bodies/longer dorsal fins whereas others are smaller with shorter dorsal fins ie.

Large body, long dorsal (Odyssey’s pic):

Small body, short dorsal (Henri’s pic):

We can see something similar in sp. ‘ST03’ (Odyssey’s pics). Here with large body, long dorsal:

Small body, shorter dorsal:

This may of course not be significant at all but interesting all the same. Could we be seeing smaller male forms adapted for some reproductive advantage or perhaps a case of mimicry? Do the respective females also differ in size?

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I have noticed the same thing within my group of Stiphodon, I have also noticed among mine that the smaller bodied fish dont seem as strong as the others and the only couple that have ended up looking unwell and passed away were the smaller bodied fish.

Plaamoo
    Participant

I don’t see a big difference in the ST 03, couldn’t it be a maturity issue? The ST 01 is quite different but the second pic looks like a very young fish to me, almost like a female. The longer dorsal in this sp. could also be a sign of maturity, no? Larger body=longer dorsal fin.

Didn’t I read somewhere that the length of the dorsal was relative to the current in the habitat? I think it was comparing s. percnopterygionas to those with a lesser dorsal, can’t remember where?

Matt
    Keymaster

Try the profiles here for your source Jim.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

All of mine were/are the same size length wise but the body size difference is quite obvious.

Plaamoo
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 4 2011, 10:39 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Try the profiles here for your source Jim. /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Tum-te-tum…cough….PHOTOS MARK…cough, splutter.

Plaamoo
    Participant

QUOTE (Mark Duffill @ Jan 4 2011, 03:41 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I have noticed the same thing within my group of Stiphodon, I have also noticed among mine that the smaller bodied fish dont seem as strong as the others and the only couple that have ended up looking unwell and passed away were the smaller bodied fish.

Have you treated them for internal parasites Mark?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I will have a go Matt, its more difficult with these as they are in one of the shed tanks

Yeah I treat all my tanks periodically and usually within a week or so of new arrivals just to be on the safe side.

Matt
    Keymaster

What do you treat them with chaps?

Plaamoo
    Participant

All new fish get at least one 5 day treatment with flubendazole, it’s usually followed by another treatment of 3 days.

Kajsa12
    Participant

It’ll be interesting to see how Henri’s smaller ones turn out!

Yes, we will wait and see.
    Btw., they are not that small; about 4.5 – 5 cm TL.(Almost the same length as my ST01 with the bigger dorsal)
    I think they are subadult males and don’t expect their dorsals will grow much bigger, but maybe they will surprise me.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I treat mine with levimasole but also have flubendazole to use as well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.