LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Stocking New 125 Gallon Tank

Home Forums My Aquarium Stocking New 125 Gallon Tank

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  stevencaller 6 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Canadian Fish
    Participant

Hi, getting a new 125 gallon tank in just over a week. Looking for stocking advice.

These are the fish I am considering. I would like opinions on which are compatible, and how many of each I can keep.

Bala Sharks
    Tiger Barbs
    Redline Barbs
    Flying Fox (1)
    Banded Gourami (1)
    Weather Loaches

I know weather loaches are cooler water species, but the profiles I have read say up to 25 degrees C. From what I have read, if I keep the temperature around 24 degrees, it should be ok for all of these.

I am open to suggestions of different fish, just not cichilds.

In my other tanks I have silver dollars, peacock eel, zebra loaches, rainbowfish, serpae tetras, dwarf frog, corys, platies, guppies, neons, harlequin rasboras, hillstrream loach, mollies, moonlight gouramis, platies, and as soon as it comes out of quarantine at Big Al’s, a leopard bush fish (can’t wait). So I am looking for fish other than these.

Thanks!

Edit:

It was just pointed out to me that Giant Gouramis get HUGE.

The gourami I meant was supposed to be a max of 4″. I read this on liveaquaria:

The Giant Gourami, also known as

Banded Gourami, Rainbow Gourami, or Striped Gourami, is a pale to golden yellow with silvery pale blue stripes running vertically along its body. In some parts of India it is used as a food fish, where it is dried and then eaten.

The Banded Gouramiis what I want.

Rüdiger
    Participant

Hi there Canadian Fish.
    Without elaborating on your initial inquiry I’d like to say that one can see in your “Edit” why it is really important to try and use scientific names wherever possible. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to critizise but it is just so much easier to help if one knows exactly what people are talking about, a common language if you want to call it that.

E.g.
    The Giant Gourami, Osphronemus goramy certainly is a tank buster whereas the Banded Gourami, Trichogaster fasciata can grow to a lick more than 10 cm.
    Once you get to know the scientific names you’ll find precise info amongst the profiles on this very site.
    Regards
    R.

stevencaller

giant gourami may get huge, but their dwarf varieties are perfect for a 125 litre aquarium. 

Matt
    Keymaster

Personally I’d say a 72″ tank is still a bit too small to keep Balantiocheilos long term. Have you considered larger rasbora?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.