LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sulawesi Oryzias sp. and water.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Sulawesi Oryzias sp. and water.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 5 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

mikev
    Participant

another breeding observation possibly of some use.

From O.woworae profile:

There is another, very similar fish collected from close to the city of Kendari on the Sulawesi mainland and traded as O. sp. ‘Kendari’, O. sp. ‘neon’ or O. sp. ‘Sulawesi’.

I have colonies of both O.woworae and O.sp.kendari, similarly set up, about the same number of fish of the same age. Till recently, both were kept at TDS=150. O.woworae were breeding for nearly three months, not a single egg obtained from O.sp.kendari, despite the presence of obviously gravid females.

I started raising tds slowly two weeks ago, and today the eggs appeared for the first time. TDS today reads 284 (I am aiming at 350, just doing this slowly).

So it appears that O.sp.kendari is more of a hard water species.

Another related observation: both of my groups were raised from eggs in soft (tds 150) water. While I did not lose any young fry, some of Kendari’s had weak spines (Calcium deficiency?), but this did not affect any o.woworae.

I really doubt they are the same species….one more thing is that despite similar everything, O.sp.kendari group behaves differently, showing no shyness and mostly in front of the tank…O.woworae are always in the back.

Matt
    Keymaster

I actually stopped doing that profile because no-one was able to clearly specifiy how the two are distinguishable from one another. I’ve a bunch of pics but still no real idea which refer to O. woworae and which sp. ‘Kendari’.

mikev
    Participant

I understand the problem…they do look very similar. Kendari’s are a bit darker and the eyes are less blue – but this is not good enough for a profile and will not be good enough if I mix the fry.

kim m
    Participant

QUOTE (mikev @ Sep 12 2011, 04:25 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I understand the problem…they do look very similar. Kendari’s are a bit darker and the eyes are less blue – but this is not good enough for a profile and will not be good enough if I mix the fry.

When breeding, O. “Kendari” males get more purple than O. woworae in my experience, especially after they got older. O. woworae males are more dark blue.

I agree that harder water seems better for the Kendari-ones when wanting them to spawn. O. woworae seems happy in softer.

Matt
    Keymaster

So are you able to label any of these with confidence then chaps?

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

From what I have seen they could all be O. woworae for me

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Mark.

mikev
    Participant

I think Mark is right… I’ll try but I was not successful with photo’ing them so far (deficient skills and equipment

nuchal man
    Participant

I was wondering if I could get a confirmation on whether these are O. woworae or kendari. I got them from a researcher at UC Davis and they are in our lab here at Sacramento State. He thought they were true O. woworae, but didn’t have a specific collection location from sulawesi. They were sold as O. woware “Blue Neon Ricefish”, which threw me a bit. Sorry for the horrible photos and the dirty glass.

Thanks,

Sam

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Sam, they look like O. woworae to me. H-G Evers confirmed via email that in sp. ‘Kendari’ males have no red colouration on the belly, and females no red above the anal fin. Now we just need photos of it.

nuchal man
    Participant

Thanks for the Id and the info. The new Oryzias profiles look nice.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thank you sir.

mikev
    Participant

A friend of mine was visiting with a $1500 camera and took a few shots of Neons (Kendari), here. I’m linking the post rather than the photos since possibly a couple of other photos would be of interest too. The photos are unfortunately slightly underexposed, the fish is a bit darker. Matt, if you use them please credit “Taoyeah” too, without his equipment the shots would have not been possible.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks Mike, you have some nice fishes – especially like the Etheostoma.

mikev
    Participant

Thanks, Matt,

There is more… but the fish I wanted to photo mostly did not cooperate or I could not clean the glass enough… his camera was very sensitive to smallest amount of dirt on the glass.

QUOTE (Matt @ Nov 7 2011, 09:50 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thanks Mike, you have some nice fishes – especially like the Etheostoma.
    Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.