LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Summer Tubbin

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Summer Tubbin

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Daspricey 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Daspricey
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’m sure you’ve all seen the article. If not here’s the link,

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/ponds/…mer_Tubbin.html

There are couple more versions, scroll down till just after “summer tubbin”,

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/ponds/index.html

I’m going to give ago this year.

Matt
    Keymaster

David how big are the containers? I suspect an Aphanius species would be perfect for you.

Daspricey
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Apr 18 2009, 12:39 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    David how big are the containers? I suspect an Aphanius species would be perfect for you. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/forums/index….amp;hl=aphanius

Perhaps A. Vladykovi would be better because it looks like they are “findable” (Couldn’t think of the word

Matt
    Keymaster

Hmm 7 gals is a bit small for Aphanius I’d say. *thinking*

Do you have an Ikea near you David? I use large plastic containers from there to keep my fish outdoors in and they work really well, hold about 20 gallons and are dirt cheap. I mentioned mento as they’re usually the commonest species in the UK but the males are quite nasty so if you can get vladykovi then fantastic!

Daspricey
    Participant

Sorry for my late late late reply. /unsure.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:unsure:” border=”0″ alt=”unsure.gif” />

OK, i’ve worked out the containers contain 5gallons, alot less than i thought, i’m thinking of trying to connect them together to make a 10g.

Look what i found http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/…il51_128443.php

I’m thinking of getting a pair of aphanius Vladikovi or Dispar, and also a pair of Phalloceros Caudomaculatus.

10g still too small?

Matt
    Keymaster

What a nice selection of fish that guy has and glad you found them! I think his dispar won some big prizes last year. Whichever species of Aphanius you choose a trio of 2 females and a male would be preferable mate. 10g would be ok for them imo but I’m sceptical about mixing with another species unless you’re not interested in breeding them.

keith565
    Participant

got to say i know Tim and Dave very well and their fish are superb, indeed they win many best in shows all over the country including one in the north east last month.
    they have some unusual killies and livebearers as you can see from the list.

pablito
    Participant

There will be quite a few Aphanius sp. at the Midland Charity Auction on June 6th. I got mine there last year.
    Have a look at TA Aquacultures site where the current list of fish that are to be auctioned is shown.

Matt
    Keymaster

Paul how are they doing?

thelizzious

Maybe a stupid question, /wub.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wub:” border=”0″ alt=”wub.gif” /> and other small waterplants, which tiny fish would survive there?

Phill Austen
    Participant

QUOTE (thelizzious @ May 17 2009, 11:57 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Maybe a stupid question, /wub.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wub:” border=”0″ alt=”wub.gif” /> and other small waterplants, which tiny fish would survive there?

I have found the little temperate rice fish Oryzias latipes an excellent candidate for tubs. The xanthic form is readily visible and these fish are allways on the surface. They are capable of wintering under ice, I keep them in a tub with a miniature Water Lilly.

Attached files

thelizzious

Sounds wonderful. One of my nick-names on internet is Lotus-Lizzy, or Padmapani. I just LOVE those flowers. I’ll check out the fish, thanks for your reply.

Daspricey
    Participant

Ahh exams finished! /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” /> /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

my plans now are to link the two five gals (in which the plants are growing well in now) and grow some pearl danios up in them – never had much luck with them, see how they do outside, or maybe some zebras or WCMM’s. Then in a couple of weeks ill get myself a couple of much bigger tubs, one for the danios and one for some aphanius! Sorted. /huh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:huh:” border=”0″ alt=”huh.gif” />

Cheers

David

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Keep us updated David and plenty of pics as well

Matt
    Keymaster

David if you want some A. mento eggs at any point let me know; I had to stop collecting them for now as I don’t have room for any more fry ’til this batch are big enough to go in with the adults.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.