LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Tetra Id, Yet Another If You Dont Mind :)

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Tetra Id, Yet Another If You Dont Mind :)

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

ste12000

Hi all, over the last few months ive been collecting groups of unusual tetras that come in as contaminants amongst wild shipments. Where-ever possible ive been trying to breed these fish and on many occassions have got lucky.

These latest fish were picked up from a exporter of wild fish, they were shipped with cardinal tetras from Columbia so location is going to be Upper Negro, Upper Orinoco area..

My problem is not the keeping or breeding of these fish, its the ID of them.. Despite owning the reference books i still struggle with the ID of these rarely seen tetras. Has anyone seen or kept the species below? ive just had a spawn this morning and it would be good to know what im breeding!

Female(Middle fish)

Male.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hemigrammus guyanensis?

ste12000

Once again, Matt to the rescue, Hemigrammus guyanensis looks to be a good match, is it likely to have such a wide distribution? Original fish was named because of being found in Guyana, these were definately imported alongside cardinals from Columbia/Venezuela

Matt
    Keymaster

Any idea where exactly the cardinals were shipped from Ste?

ste12000

QUOTE (Matt @ Aug 31 2011, 08:06 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Any idea where exactly the cardinals were shipped from Ste?

Bogota, Columbia, thats the only information available.. Its impossible to track collection locations, they come from a exporter based in Bogota and are collected from a wide area, ive even had cacatuoides from them and they are a Peruvian species!!

Colin
    Participant

from what I have gathered with importing from Colombia, Bogota is just a hub, much like Singapore is for Asian exports. As you say, they could be from anywhere in S America

Matt
    Keymaster

Also, H. guyanensis does appear to have been recorded from the Orinoco basin so may have a wider distribution than is normally quoted. See here.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.