LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

The Aquatic Library

Home Forums The Lounge The Aquatic Library

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  JazzBora150 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Well I initially deleted the thread we posted earlier in which we revealed that this website is using images and information from SF without permission. Was going to leave it that way until the following mail arrived in response to my initial query:

Hi Matt Ford

Sorry to here you are having a problem with regards to the issue concerning the violating terms of copyright images used on some profiles in the aquatic library.

For me to continue the investigation, could you please send us a list (as you describe) with details to which image(s) you claim are in violation. You will also need to enclose proof of copyright each image you own and to supply proof of ownership of the said image(s). Would you also supply me with details of the web site which you state most images may have come from.

Proof of copyright and ownership can be proven by sending us a copy of the Copyright Notice received when you registered the image.

Please note due to our own data protection, we can only deal with image(s) you may own so please inform you friends to do the same and send all enquires to the address below using the subject “Copyright Notice”.

Again sorry for any upset this may have caused.

Barry
    (email address supplied)

Fish Tank Forums.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Seems to me it should be their responsibility to obtain permission for any photos used, not the other way around?

dunc
    Keymaster

quite sir..

Colin
    Participant

what’s been blagged specifically? pics and text?

random2
    Participant

Legally speaking, you dont have much of any option other than asking individual owners to pursue the matter with them. But what they are doing is buying more time.

Though I would not really like it, a better thing to do in future is to watermark all images on SF.

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (Colin @ Mar 15 2011, 05:01 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    what’s been blagged specifically? pics and text?

Yeah.

Legally speaking, you dont have much of any option other than asking individual owners to pursue the matter with them. But what they are doing is buying more time.

Though I would not really like it, a better thing to do in future is to watermark all images on SF.

Cheers Deepak. If we can avoid watermarking we will though as I don’t feel it’s right to brand others’ images with the SF logo.

By the way, in the UK there’s no need to register copyright or obtain ‘Copyright Notices’ so this is definitely just playing for time and attempting to intimidate using purported ‘legal speakĀ“. dry.gif

Plaamoo
    Participant

Sorry to here you are having a problem

please inform you friends

He’s not very good at it

Bully
    Participant

Don’t the images in the knowledge base have the copyright details on them already, by way of our name watermarked on the image? If they are using images that they have not obtained permission for, then they should remove them until permission has been granted. As far as I know, that’s how it works, regardless.

Bully
    Participant

OK, just checked. The copyright info is given as comment, and not watermarked, I’ll research first, and comment later next time

a.d.wood
    Participant

I was under the impression that a swift email to the hosting company regarding copyright infringement was the common way of dealing with the ‘difficult’ offenders.

Matt highlighted a site to me recently using my images of Congochromis sabinae, no request for use and even worse they’ve been used for the species profile of a different species…. I got a response saying ‘I found them and there is no copyright once they are on the net’ (was my interpretation of the response…) and he will credit them to me (yet to happen) and the miss ID was completely ignored. It might be easier to hit head against brick wall sometimes…

Andrew

Bully
    Participant

QUOTE (a.d.wood @ Mar 15 2011, 08:51 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    ‘I found them and there is no copyright once they are on the net’

That’s simply untrue, copyright is retained by the original owner until such a time that the original owner releases it (with a time limit of 70 years from the date of creation). This is regardless of whether or not the image has been posted on the internet.

Such is the ownership of an image that no-one can force you to delete an image on your camera, including the police.

a.d.wood
    Participant

QUOTE (Bully @ Mar 15 2011, 09:27 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    That’s simply untrue, copyright is retained by the original owner until such a time that the original owner releases it (with a time limit of 70 years from the date of creation). This is regardless of whether or not the image has been posted on the internet.

Such is the ownership of an image that no-one can force you to delete an image on your camera, including the police.

I know, but that’s the ‘defence’ given on most occasions for using your photo’s without permission.

Andrew

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks for the useful input chaps. What they are doing is illegal and we’ve decided to pursue it further simply because of the nature of their response i.e. denial. Will keep this thread updated as things pan out.

Andrew, you’re too nice by the way.

Matt
    Keymaster

All profiles featuring our images have been removed from this website. Thanks to those who helped!

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Yeah I got an email from Michael to let me know that images and profiles have been removed, he must be the “freelance” that nicked the images etc in the first place.

The thing is these people and mnay more like them have to realise that they cant just go around stealing peoples work

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.