LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

The Effects of Carbaryl on the Development of Zebrafish (Danio rerio) Embryos

Home Forums Ichthyology The Effects of Carbaryl on the Development of Zebrafish (Danio rerio) Embryos

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  BillT 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

BillT
    Participant

Carbaryl is the active ingredient in Sevin.

Open access:

http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/full/10.1089/zeb.2012.0747

BallAquatics
    Participant

Sounds like wonderful stuff…  Although approved for more than 100 crops in the US, carbaryl is illegal in several countries, including the United Kingdom, Austria, Denmark, Sweden, Iran, Germany, and Angola.

It also kills bees.  Imagine life without all the food items we eat that are pollinated by bees.

Dennis

Matt
    Keymaster

How on earth can this kind of thing continue to be justified? :(

BillT
    Participant

The cynic in me would say:

These are politically made decisions.

In the US the political system is over run with uncontrolled spending on political campaigns. US campaigns are long and media dependent (requiring lots of money). Special interests pour lots of money into politics to support those who will support their monetary or other interests. There are many different special interests, so it is difficult to focus people’s objections on any one issue.

Global warming (an issue I have strong feelings about) is one of many examples with many screwed up spinoffs. While US public opinion is slowly changing in favor of dealing with it, the details of the issue are continually being confused by many sources of poor information and those opposed to action on it get monetary political support. In some southern east coast states (Virginia and N. Carolina It think), state legislature at the behest of local developers (people who make a lot of money from putting up houses and buildings) declared that zoning should ignore predictions of sea level rise because they want to build things in the future ocean and sell them to people who will in the future need govt. to help deal with floods that they will inevitably be faced with.

The realist in me says: You can’t do much about global warming until campaign funding is reformed or at least made transparent.

Big Money out of Politics!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.