LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

The Hunt For Aphanius Baeticus

Home Forums Field Trips & Conservation The Hunt For Aphanius Baeticus

This topic contains 22 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Good idea Mick…have put them in the existing thread over there.

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Aug 24 2008, 12:15 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Karlos sorry missed your question before. It’s illegal to remove either the Aphanius or the Cobitis as both are on the IUCN Red List. I know Manuel and some others are breeding the baeticus though. I’d actually really like to have a crack at breeding the Cobitis too….

thx…another useless law imho…better if they did a program or something

Matt
    Keymaster

Indeed, illegal to take them to breed but no programme in place to protect the habitat…dohhh…

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Aug 24 2008, 04:42 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Indeed, illegal to take them to breed but no programme in place to protect the habitat…dohhh…

*insert head slapping smiley with doh as effect* sounds like malta

mzapater
    Participant

Hi Matt,

Just some things. There are protection programs going on, although not so effective as you could see… I am not sure (will check) but I think that the A. baeticus are being captive bred to reinforce the wild populations, which is not easy because until things get more clear, every population should be treated separately. Just think that until some years ago A. baeticus and A. saourensis were considered the same as A. iberus…

We don´t breed nor keep these fish

Matt
    Keymaster

Manuel, a couple of questions if you don’t mind. Are there any specific programmes in place to protect the habitats? In the case of this population at least it seems that a lack of water is the major limiting factor. Are you saying that you don’t keep this particular population of A. baeticus or you don’t have any of the species at all?

Cheers

Matt

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Great pictures Matt, I would love to be able to search and net new ponds and water ways like that
    This could be Iberochondrostoma lemmingii – very similar mouth shape

This could be Atherina boyeri, permanent freshwater populations have been reported in the same areas as the cobitis and Iberochondrostoma

Looking at the operculum on the Mullet I would hazard a guess at Liza aurata

Matt
    Keymaster

Fantastic info, cheers Mark!

Author
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.