LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Thorichthys Maculipinnis Aka Ellioti

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Thorichthys Maculipinnis Aka Ellioti

This topic contains 44 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  ulster exile 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author

ulster exile

OK, since Mike posted his pics of the ellioti, I have been a little bit in awe of this fish (which is rare for me since I’m not much into cichlids)

Somebody is selling some in Leeds (75p btw in case anybody is interested) so I was wondering if somebody could tell me if my tank was suitable for a pair. Also, wondering if these can be sexed at 15mm to 25mm (sizes per the seller).

The tank is about 215l, water is fairly soft, 5dGH, 4dKH, 7.6ph, runs at 24dC. Inhabitants are corys, botia striata, 2 small plecs, 3 SAE’s 11 golden pencils. It is also heavily planted and I run pressurised CO2, and add dry ferts (in case this ino makes a difference!).

I have looked on t’internet and *think* it may be a possibilty, but never having had a cichlid in my life, would like a more experienced opinion!

TIA

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi UE. Looking at your water parameters/volume etc. I think your tank would be just about big enough for a pair. I’ve never kept them personally but bred T. meeki (firemouth) years ago and if I remember right the fish are probably not sexable at the size you mention. You might be better off get getting a group of half a dozen or so and waiting for a pair to form. The only drawback with that method of course is rehoming the other fish later. Let’s hope Mike spots this as it’d be useful to get his input as to how aggressive they are. /cool.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”B)” border=”0″ alt=”cool.gif” />

Attached files

ulster exile

Thanks for you response Matt.

Do you think, honestly, that a pair would be a squeeze in my tank? I have just read an article on the cichild room companion which stated that they wouldn’t recommend these being kept in tanks under 300 litres for natural behaviour to be observed. I have also read that the min tank size in terms of length, is 120cm (mine is 100cm – it is deeper than usual hence the larger than average volume for its length).

Now I appreciate that a lot of fish may act more naturally in larger aquariums hence the 300l reference, but I really wouldn’t want to be ‘squeezing’ these in at all or even putting them in uncomfortable surroundings (if you ignore the fact that they’re in a glass viewing box dependant on me for survival)…

Like you, I would be interested to hear Mike’s comments on their behaviour – I’d gathered that they were a more good-natured companion than their better known family member, the firemouth. In addition to their level of agression, it would be also interesting to hear if they are predatory as I hadn’t considered that tbh (wondering if the pencils would become dinner).

Lastly, I’m not overly familiar with the scientific side of the hobby (arts student and for a reason

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok well a junior synonym is a name that refers to a species but that is not the currently recognised name. This often happens when a species is described more than once by mistake although this is not the only way that one can be raised. You might find this useful /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” />

Ok brief taxonomy lesson over, back to the fish! UE what are the other dimensions of your tank?

ulster exile

Hi Matt, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain that, thank you

Mike
    Participant

Just seen this topic and i’d say go for it, the Ellioti are not very aggressive and
    should be fine with your other fish, not sure how they are on plants though
    I don’t keep plants. Like Matt said, get half a dozen and let them pair off,
    you’ll have no probs selling/trading any extra fish. BTW 75P is a awesome price.

ulster exile

Thanks for the encouragement Mike.

I’m waiting on the seller to come back to me to let me know how long he can hold on to these for as I can’t get up to Leeds until weekend after next as I’m in Somerset this weekend and I don’t fancy a 4 hour round trip after work during the week…

Matt
    Keymaster

I had my firemouths in a 3′ tank and they were just about ok so I reckon go for it too!

Mike
    Participant

QUOTE(ulster exile @ Jun 5 2008, 08:33 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thanks for the encouragement Mike.

I’m waiting on the seller to come back to me to let me know how long he can hold on to these for

Ask him if he’ll post them? it can’t be very much to post small fish like that,
    and nows the ideal time of year for shipping fish.

ulster exile

He’s adamant that he won’t post, although I think other people are asking too. Not fancying the drive, but I do believe that these would be worth it

Mike
    Participant

Pity he won’t ship, still you can make a day out of it and get a bit of shopping in. /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

ulster exile

Yeah, the only slight issue is that my in-laws are mostly Leeds based and there’s 5 ill-disciplined ankle-biters up there that I need to avoid (me no good with kiddies /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Just don’t tell them you’re going!

ulster exile

QUOTE(Matt @ Jun 5 2008, 11:51 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Just don’t tell them you’re going! /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” /> ). We’re going on Saturday to pick these up and I’m really excited now – you know, I don’t think that I’ve ever had fish where I’ve been scared that there may be any compatibility or agression issues, so this is a totally new kettle of fish (groan

Eyrie
    Participant

We’ll want pics (and not of the ankle biters!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.