LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Thoricthys Ellioti

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Thoricthys Ellioti

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ulster exile 9 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

ulster exile

My t. ellioti produced eggs for the first time a couple of weeks ago (after killing one of the other’s) and although I had fry, none survived passed about 5 days. I wasn’t prepared or wanting fry to be honest.

However, it looks like they’re preparing to breed all over again. They’ve been digging in their patch and judging by the increased aggression of the smallest of the pair, their bright colouring (and the group of corys in the opposite corner), I think it’s going to happen all over again.

Is this what I can expect for the foreseeable future i.e. breeding every couple of weeks Whilst they’re not hugely aggressive when not breeding, I was unprepared for the aggression hike when breeding and I do intend on getting rid of them.

Thanks in advance

retro_gk
    Participant

If you let them raise the fry, they won’t spawn till they think the fry can live on their own. This can take anywhere from 4 to 12 weeks, depending on the temperament of your fish.

What you could do, if you don’t want them to spawn, is cut down on feeding and lower the temperature in the tank to about 23-24 C

ulster exile

Thanks for your reply retro. The tank is already between 23-24, as my corys prefer the lower temp.

Cheers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.