LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Trichopsis species

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Trichopsis species

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

How does this species do in a community aquarium? Is it possible to keep a group together? If so, do they interact in a territorial sense?

Darrell Ullisch
    Participant

I’ve had a bunch of them for some time, I had a pair living in a community tank for several months, no problems from them or for them. Male built bubblenests in the Water Sprite regularly, I didn’t pull the spawns because I had a large number of fry growing out already. Found out that stores really don’t like them much, they don’t sell easily. Other fish in the tank were various Tetras, Nanochromis transvestitus, and young Angelfish.

I have had as many as a dozen adults in a 40 gallon breeder tank together, and they generally don’t interact with one another much. I did have a lot of Water Sprite on the surface, though. I currently have a group of them in a 5 foot diameter wading pool, but no idea what they’re doing as the surface is usually covered with duckweed. They all come to the same area when I feed, and I see several large males at this time.

Matt
    Keymaster

That’s perfect, thanks a lot Darrell. Seems this is generally a peaceful species.

Matt
    Keymaster

Here are some wild specimens we collected in Malaysia, and their respective habitats. Should all be T. vittata?

Mersing, Johor state.

Trichopsis-vittata-Mersing-Johor-MF.jpg

Trichopsis-vittata-2-MF-habitat-Mersing.jpg

Vicinity of Tasik Bera, Pahang state.

Trichopsis-vittata-1-MF.jpg

Trichopsis-vittata-1-MF-habitat-Tasik-Bera-Pahang.jpg

Dungun, Terengganu state.

Trichopsis-vittata-Dungun-Terengganu-MF.jpg

Trichopsis-vittata-habitat-Dungun-Terengganu-MF.jpg

Perak state.

Trichopsis-vittata-Perak-MF.jpg

Trichopsis-vittata-Perak-habitat-MF.jpg

Lundu, Sarawak state (Borneo).

Trichopsis-vittata-Lundu-Sarawak-MF.jpg

Trichopsis-vittata-Lundu-Sarawak-habitat-MF.jpg

Darrell Ullisch
    Participant

They all appear to be T. vittata, though the Lundu might be worthy of some evaluation as a possible new species with that large blue spot and the lowest stripe being continuous across the gill cover. It would be interesting to do a more detailed examination to see if there are other differences. I have seen photos labeled as vittata with that blue spot before – they are the more colorful fish I mentioned before – but I have never actually seen any fish that possess it. Your pictures suggest that it is specific to this location, which could also suggest a reason to consider a new description.

Thanks for posting these, some interesting information about what some think of as a “common” fish!!

Matt
    Keymaster

Yeah, there seems to be a general consensus that populations from Sumatra, Borneo and Java might represent one or more distinct species. As far as that particular form being specific to Lundu, I have no idea as we didn’t fish extensively in the area. Will try to find out.

Matt
    Keymaster

Does anyone know a sure-fire way to differentiate T. pumila and T. schalleri other than adult size?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.