LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Trochilocharax ornatus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Trochilocharax ornatus

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Male:

Female:

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Way cool – been wanting these since first seeing them on Glaser’s website last year. Did you get a few Graham?

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Mar 22 2011, 08:20 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Way cool – been wanting these since first seeing them on Glaser’s website last year. Did you get a few Graham?

They were nearly all males Matt. Only managed to find 2 females in the whole tank. Got 6 all together. (From Pier in Wigan)

oaken
    Participant

Really nice. Been interested in ordering these. These guys inseminate internally, right? Any aggression among them? Also, how big are they?

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

QUOTE (oaken @ Mar 23 2011, 10:05 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Really nice. Been interested in ordering these. These guys inseminate internally, right? Any aggression among them? Also, how big are they?

Steve Waring

QUOTE (mummymonkey @ Mar 24 2011, 12:09 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I don’t know if it has been proven that they have internal fertilisation but it is certainly assumed. The males are quite frisky and spar a bit but nothing too violent. They dance about in front of the females like most tetras.
    Males are 2cm, females 1.5cm.

This article http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=3172 suggests that they do have internal fertilisation.

They look beautiful. I wish I had room in my 250 litre tetra tank for them, but it is fully stocked. I’d love to have some of these. My 250 litre tetra tank is just far too small.

Matt
    Keymaster

Description (in German, English abstract) freely available here.

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Just an update for the records.

I wasn’t able to maintain this species long term. Although they fed well and appeared healthy enough they died one at a time over a period of a couple of months. The fish would seperate themselves from the rest, the body would go opaque and then they would die. From first symptoms to death was a matter of hours. A couple of them also seemed to have some kind of mouth erosion, not sure what it was.

A shame really as they are an interesting and rather beautiful little fish.

Matt
    Keymaster

Sorry about that Graham, but cheers for the update. Does the paper have any habitat info (can’t remember

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jul 29 2011, 08:01 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Sorry about that Graham, but cheers for the update. Does the paper have any habitat info (can’t remember

Matt
    Keymaster

Which if I recall your local water chemistry correctly means soft water with virtually no hardness?

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jul 29 2011, 08:22 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Which if I recall your local water chemistry correctly means soft water with virtually no hardness?

That’s right. Usually fine for tetras.

Matt
    Keymaster

Sure, thanks for the confirmation. Do you know if anyone is keeping and breeding it successfully?

oaken
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jul 30 2011, 12:12 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Sure, thanks for the confirmation. Do you know if anyone is keeping and breeding it successfully?

Jan Wester keeps these and got some fry. The fry appeared among the adults.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks Gustav.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.