LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Tropical Freshwater Shrimp

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters Tropical Freshwater Shrimp

This topic contains 52 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  keith565 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Having read about them recently I’m not sure I’m a fan of the Sulawesi shrimp being in the trade until someone is producing them on a commercial scale (unless they are already?). Stunning though they are, most of them are endemic to Lake Matano so we could easily end up with another group of animals being over-exploited for the hobby. The lake itself is under threat from deforestation as well from what I’ve read.

Quote from Munawar: “Lake Matano is a unique aquatic food web with only three trophic levels (phytoplankton/detritus, zooplankton and forage fish). . .The limnological characteristics of Lakes Matano and Towuti result in an aquatic ecosystem that is unique compared with all other deep lakes of the world.”

Loosely translated from science-speak, this means that the lake is unique in that there are only 3 levels in the food chain ie. no higher predators etc., which is presumably why it holds such a diverse array of small fish and shrimp.

Here’s a pic…what a stunning-looking place

Attached files

keith565
    Participant

i’ve been looking for several shrimps over the last several months and only managed to get crystal blacks. but i will keep looking.
    i have heard many people try shrimps with bettas and most of them said the betta used them for food or was threatened by them so killed them.

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE(keith565 @ May 16 2008, 11:43 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i’ve been looking for several shrimps over the last several months and only managed to get crystal blacks. but i will keep looking.
    i have heard many people try shrimps with bettas and most of them said the betta used them for food or was threatened by them so killed them.

thing is i got too many tanks, too little space

Richy
    Participant

my betta has had the odd red crystal, bee and red cherry but it is quite large. It doesn’t bother the amano’s or bamboos.

edit* i have no problems with zebra snails and pressume apple snails should be ok too.

keith565
    Participant

good bit of info there Matt. as always, human kind have to go out of their way to predate on smaller animals.
    lets hope they realize what they will be destroying if they continue to over fish and deforest.

apple snails will be fine with shrimps. they don’t bother them at all.

Daspricey
    Participant

Brilliant info Matt! Lets just hope that the price of the shrimp will put of a few people.

lets hope they realize what they will be destroying if they continue to over fish and deforest.

I fear that may be to much to hope for.

keith565
    Participant

well, i for one will be looking for tank bred shrimp.

Matt
    Keymaster

Keith, show us your black crystals!

keith565
    Participant

ooer, saucy minx.
    i will try and get a few more shots of them when batteries are charged,lol

Matt
    Keymaster

Here’s another new one:

Attached files

dunc
    Keymaster

That’s so pretty. Must be a veritable nightmare photographing some of these shrimps

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE(dunc @ May 23 2008, 04:10 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    That’s so pretty. Must be a veritable nightmare photographing some of these shrimps

Matt
    Keymaster

More:

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Aquarium Glaser in Germany (big wholesaler) are now listing these crabs from Lake Matano. Stunning though they are it still makes me a bit sad as no-one seems to know the conservation status of the creatures from this lake. The species name is Parathelphusa pantherina and they’re selling them as “panther crabs”. Pic is from the Aquarium Glaser website.

Attached files

geordie John
    Participant

Now then folk ,
    I’ve just seen Crystal Red Shrimp advertised on eBay !! local as well !!
    All the best,
    G.J.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.