LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Trust In Dealers Advice, But Should You

Home Forums My Aquarium Trust In Dealers Advice, But Should You

This topic contains 25 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  JazzBora150 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

JazzBora150
    Participant

as ive already mentioned in a couple of posts im a total green horn as far as tropical fish go

and ive taken advice from more than one source which maybe isnt such a good thing either

and it gets worse

i was at a dealers on monday just to have a wee look at what he had in stock and i seen a couple

of tanks with nice little cichlids with the words PEACEFUL as a description so i asked can i add

these to a community take i have and the reply was certainly these are peaceful and shy fish

so i bought two fish

i will add the photos of them one of them is a lovely peaceful wee chap just hovers mid water

and doesnt bother with any of the other species in the tank the other is a monster, a nasty brute

by no means monster in size but attitude and aggression and to top it off i think he has

munched 6 of my Paracheirodon innesi (i hope thats correct for neons)

now this monster i refer to was sold to me as a wild red flag cichlid and cost me 15 pounds

so i searched for it on google, cant find it

i did find images for red flag cichlid but it doesnt look like mine

needless to say im not happy

Attached files

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

The first is Biotodoma cupido, the second is I think a yellow acara – Aequidens metae.

JazzBora150
    Participant

i woke up this mornin to a horror of horrors as i watched the second fish finish his meal

during the night he managed to eat 7 neon tetra

so i took time off work today to return him to shop

i think this might be him: Laetacara curviceps – Dwarf Flag Cichlid

Matt
    Keymaster

You should trust Mummymonkey’s id in my opinion.

coelacanth
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 5 2011, 08:51 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    You should trust Mummymonkey’s id in my opinion.

JazzBora150
    Participant

im not sure what he is although he definatley ate my neons

he was sold to me as a wild caught dwarf red flag cichlid and it even said peaceful on the holding tank

but that could mean anything

i dont profess to know any of the latin names i just pulled that off google images

but he still ate my fish i watched him finish one off

but thanks for your reply maybe when i become more accomplished i may decide to do a single species tank and these may be it

thanks

coelacanth
    Participant

Definitely not dwarf, it’s Aequidens metae , diadema or something very similar, get up to 8″, maybe more.

JazzBora150
    Participant

could this be it?

http://aquaworld.netfirms.com/Cichlidae/La…a_dorsigera.htm

as i said before the line disappeared and reappeared i think it was a mood thing

a.d.wood
    Participant

QUOTE (JazzBora150 @ Jan 6 2011, 05:21 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    could this be it?

http://aquaworld.netfirms.com/Cichlidae/La…a_dorsigera.htm

as i said before the line disappeared and reappeared i think it was a mood thing

Ah, the wonders of the www and it’s ability to get things wrong…..

The fish pictured in the link you give is not Laetacara dorsigera, it’s an Aequidens of one form or another (which matches what the good folks here have already identified your mystery fish as).

Andrew

a.d.wood
    Participant

QUOTE (JazzBora150 @ Jan 6 2011, 05:21 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    ………………

Yes, the lateral band will come and go. All to do with mood, dominance, current focus etc.

Andrew

JazzBora150
    Participant

thanks for that andrew

well not to worry he has be replaced with 3 other fish and i know the name of one of them is right: ancistrus

the other 2 were sold as a pair i think they are apistogramma

but i am expecting to be wrong

Plaamoo
    Participant

You’ve probably already figured out that the answer to you original question is a resounding NO! Most fish shop owners IME(of course there are exceptions)are interested in selling you something first and foremost whether or not is fits your situation. My best advice would be to take your camera to the shop if you can, find fish that you like, return here with all the info you can gather and let folks help ID & determine their needs & compatibility before you buy. Most of us learn this the hard way

JazzBora150
    Participant

yes plaamoo

your right i have figured that out now

the same dealer whilst offering me a replacement for the neon muncher sold me these 2 little chaps which i think are apisto gramma

am i right ?

sold as a pair

Attached files

a.d.wood
    Participant

Yes, that’s a pair of Apistogramma panduro (male in top pic, female in lower pic).

Andrew

Stefan

QUOTE (JazzBora150 @ Jan 6 2011, 07:12 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    yes plaamoo

your right i have figured that out now

the same dealer whilst offering me a replacement for the neon muncher sold me these 2 little chaps which i think are apisto gramma

am i right ?

sold as a pair

I am stunned; the first time you got unknown fish which turned out to be a horror story, you go back and take with new, again unknown fish… /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.