LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Tukano Tetra

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Duffill 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

alanvass
    Participant

Hi Guys
    Just got very rare Tucanoichthys Tucano. A very small characin named after the Tukano Indians. Any one know anthing about this species. Alan

keith565
    Participant

never heard of it mate, be interesting to find out more about it.

Cool_Citrus
    Participant

cool, any pictures? Or atleast a description on what they look like?

Richy
    Participant

Googles is your best freind LINK click here

Google it for images aswell.

Excellent database here on SF but i didnt see it unless its been reclassified.

I have NO experience with this fish but hope the pbase link helps a little

Matt
    Keymaster

No we don’t cover it at present. All I know is that it’s a funny one because it doesn’t have an adipose fin. Will try to get a copy of the description paper Alan.

Edit: it’s from the Rio Uaup├ęs so should be a blackwater fish.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I did read that there have been problems with this fish in the fact that it is a Characin but as yet cannot really be classified to any existing genus or sub-family.

Maximum size would appear to be around 17mm SL and they seem to do best at pH ranging from 5.5 up to 6.5, unfortunately that’s about it.

It is a lovely looking little fish though, it is surprising that it has taken so long to be seen in the trade considering it was described in 1997. Looking at FB natural populations seem to reproduce readily and in large quantities so I don’t think it will be long before someone spawns them.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Apr 29 2009, 09:30 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    All I know is that it’s a funny one because it doesn’t have an adipose fin.

I had heard the same Matt but if you look at all the images on Google they all have adipose fins

Matt
    Keymaster

You’re right an’ all.

keith565
    Participant

wow, stunning wee fish.

Matt
    Keymaster

These stunners now available at Glaser’s with free mouth damage.

Attached files

retro_gk
    Participant

From what I’ve heard, they prefer extreme blackwater. I wonder if not providing that is the cause of the “free mouth damage”.

Arcadianred
    Participant

I’ve got a group of 18 of these. They are blackwater fish and mine are in ph5 ish at the moment with aldercones and ketapang leaves in the water (next to no hardness). They eat anything fits in thier mouths really particularly frozen cyclops and fresh BBS.
    From my experience they are pretty easy to keep to be honest. I haven’t tried breeding them really but am thinking about putting some serious effort in with them in the near future.
    Super little fish…

Mark

Mark Duffill
    Participant

QUOTE (Arcadianred @ Sep 15 2009, 07:28 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I’ve got a group of 18 of these. They are blackwater fish and mine are in ph5 ish at the moment with aldercones and ketapang leaves in the water (next to no hardness). They eat anything fits in thier mouths really particularly frozen cyclops and fresh BBS.
    From my experience they are pretty easy to keep to be honest. I haven’t tried breeding them really but am thinking about putting some serious effort in with them in the near future.
    Super little fish…

Mark

How do Mark, long time no see mate, hows things?

Arcadianred
    Participant

QUOTE (Mad Duff @ Sep 15 2009, 11:41 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    How do Mark, long time no see mate, hows things?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

QUOTE (Arcadianred @ Sep 17 2009, 10:27 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Mark,

Things are fine up here! Fish house still pretty much the same (dwarf’s etc) but have a few geo’ and guianacara kicking about now.

Still have the Ulreyi – only lost 1. These have been smashing fish.

Still a loach man i see!

Mark

Those Ulreyi’s will be a good age now /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.