LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Tumor? Bgk Problem

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Tumor? Bgk Problem

This topic contains 75 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Richy 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • Author

Richy
    Participant

Hi, right, I’ve already posted this on a couple of forums.
    Between the 2 I think my 6″ BGK (Black Ghost Knifefish) may have a tumor but i’m still uncertain.

The story so far…
    At first I thought it may just be constipated as the swelling appeared quickly over about 3-4 days so i posted on a forum. Not much positive feedback from there so I went to a very large active global forum. I noticed it was still passing waste so was confused. I got quite a few people saying they think it “may” be a tumor so I moved it to a mature hospital tank by itself incase it burst and infected the rest of the tankmates. The lump didnt get any worse over a 2 week period but internally, I don’t know.

The latest thing I’ve done is a 10 min dip with epsom salts incase it is a partial blockage. I asked on the big forum how often to redo a epsom salt dip but have had no reply so now I’m asking you lot here. When I treat it with E/Salts the lump went a bit bigger after a few hours then went back to origional lump size again which is making me wonder if it could be a slight blockage now grr ffs lol /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />
    Here’s a couple of pics, not super quality but you’ll get the idea of what I mean.

I’m really sorry for the long post but thought I’d post as much history about it as possible incase you asked Q’s I already know or have tried.
    I put the health of my livestock first above anything but the main reason I’m so concerned is that I have a near 12″ BGK and he’s my precious baby and I’d hate the same thing happen to him if I don’t know how to approach the issue /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />
    EDIT* how often should I redo a Epsom salt dip? (if you think it may be a blockage)

Regards
    Richy

keith565
    Participant

hmm, it looks like an infection of some sort, but as to what is difficult to say. it’s a long way from the digestive tract from what i can see, so i think possibly a cyst.
    now, for treatment, i would first go with melafix, see if that helps after a few days, if not, just wait and see i’m afraid.
    you could risk bursting it and this would give meds a chance to get a hold of things, but could also make things worse.
    a broad spectrum antibiotic may help, but this would need a vet to prescribe these.
    i’m sorry i’m not much help, but these things are so difficult to diagnose.

Matt
    Keymaster

Keith I know it’s not the intestine but isn’t the stomach usually around there somewhere? I’d agree that if the Epsom made it swell up further but didn’t reduce the problem it sounds like something more “solid” than a blockage of the digestive system like a cyst or something. Just to clear it as an issue what do you feed the fish Richy?

Richy
    Participant

Keith, any reply is of help whether it be correct or unsure about. This has been my problem, it’s not just a normal case of, i dunno, fin rot or whitespot etc and it doesn’t help that the majority of households don’t know what a knife fish is /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />
    I’ll give it a couple of days then try melafix and pimafix as they can be used inconjuction with eachother /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Richy
    Participant

QUOTE(Matt @ May 28 2008, 01:34 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Keith I know it’s not the intestine but isn’t the stomach usually around there somewhere? I’d agree that if the Epsom made it swell up further but didn’t reduce the problem it sounds like something more “solid” than a blockage of the digestive system like a cyst or something. Just to clear it as an issue what do you feed the fish Richy?

Sorry Matt, just realised you posted while I was typing /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

Malti
    Participant

well personally I’ve never encountered this in fish, but I’ve encountered this in farm animals. Now I’m going to tell you what we used to do so maybe you can come up with something for the BGK.

First we assessed the tumor – if its lumpy and didn’t change shape it was probably fat so its was no problem, if on the other hand it was liquid it was probably filled with pus. We used to keep it clean as can be and sometimes we would cover it up aswell if liquid started to come out of it cause of infection. After some time it would mature and burst, and we would clean it up and keep it clean till it healed.

well I don’t know if you can handle the BGK, but if you can, you can try to assess (and be very gentle, you don’t want to burst it) the type of lump and then see how it goes. sorry I couldn’t help much.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hmmmm, most types of tumour in fish are viral in origin so if this is what you have you’d expect others in the tank to be affected though. I also wouldn’t try to burst the lump as if it is a tumour it’s most likely benign and will disappear by itself, or at least is unlikely to do the fish any harm.

I think that another possibility could be fluid retention (ascites). This is usually caused by the malfunction/infection of one or more organs such as the kidneys or liver and the fluid builds up as a result of dead tissues (necrosis) and/or pus. This stuff can build up in the abdominal cavity and cause the area around the stomach to look bloated. If this is the cause there’s not a lot that can be done unfortunately. You say the fish is swimming ok so that would appear to discount kidney problems though….it’s a tricky one this Richy!

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE(Matt @ May 28 2008, 03:14 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hmmmm, most types of tumour in fish are viral in origin so if this is what you have you’d expect others in the tank to be affected though. I also wouldn’t try to burst the lump as if it is a tumour it’s most likely benign and will disappear by itself, or at least is unlikely to do the fish any harm.

I think that another possibility could be fluid retention (ascites). This is usually caused by the malfunction/infection of one or more organs such as the kidneys or liver and the fluid builds up as a result of dead tissues (necrosis) and/or pus. This stuff can build up in the abdominal cavity and cause the area around the stomach to look bloated. If this is the cause there’s not a lot that can be done unfortunately. You say the fish is swimming ok so that would appear to discount kidney problems though….it’s a tricky one this Richy!

that is why i suggested to know if the lump is solid or liquid…so you can rule out stuff according to what it is.

Matt
    Keymaster

Yep wasn’t disputing that point Karlos, I think it’s a good idea if the fish can be handled.

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE(Matt @ May 28 2008, 05:24 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yep wasn’t disputing that point Karlos, I think it’s a good idea if the fish can be handled.

Richy
    Participant

Thanks for the time an effort put into your replies, much appreciated /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Cheers

Richy
    Participant

It depressed as if you pushed your finger into a balloon, didnt feel like hard lump. This may explain a little why it went bigger and back down after the epsom salt dip??

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE(Richy @ May 28 2008, 10:09 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It depressed as if you pushed your finger into a balloon, didnt feel like hard lump. This may explain a little why it went bigger and back down after the epsom salt dip??

so its not a tumuor, or a cyst…there’s some trapped liquid underneath

mmm, could it be stress? sometimes freshwater fish increase the intake of water which may damage the scales…something similar?

Richy
    Participant

QUOTE(Malti @ May 28 2008, 09:16 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    so its not a tumuor, or a cyst…there’s some trapped liquid underneath
    mmm, could it be stress? sometimes freshwater fish increase the intake of water which may damage the scales…something similar?

No stress at all, it’s happy as a pig in muck. These are scaless fish so, ermm, no scale damage.
    I think I came across a diagram of the BGK’s workings a few year ago so i’ll try and find it again if it helps

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE(Richy @ May 28 2008, 10:41 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    No stress at all, it’s happy as a pig in muck. These are scaless fish so, ermm, no scale damage.
    I think I came across a diagram of the BGK’s workings a few year ago so i’ll try and find it again if it helps
    Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.