LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Turtle Infection

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Turtle Infection

This topic contains 25 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  johnpeten 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

johnpeten
    Participant

My young turtle has a fuzzy growth around his non retractable part of the neck and around his legs.
    I have added some methylene blue to his water.
    Has anybody an idea what this is?

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Looks fungal…and nasty. No idea which medications are suitable for turtles John so hopefully someone with more knowledge will spot this.

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (johnpeten @ Nov 13 2009, 05:37 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    My young turtle has a fuzzy growth around his non retractable part of the neck and around his legs.
    I have added some methylene blue to his water.
    Has anybody an idea what this is?

I will post this on a reptile forum…and see what info I get – looks fungal aswell to me

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Nov 13 2009, 03:06 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I will post this on a reptile forum…and see what info I get – looks fungal aswell to me

Thanks Malti, it is behaving quite normally and not distressed. It is eating as voraciously as usual.
    I have suffered from Ich in one of my fish tanks that is why I had the methylene blue.

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (johnpeten @ Nov 14 2009, 12:26 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thanks Malti, it is behaving quite normally and not distressed. It is eating as voraciously as usual.
    I have suffered from Ich in one of my fish tanks that is why I had the methylene blue.

welcome John.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/shelled-tur…438-fungus.html

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Graham;5080355)
    That looks like skin fungus to me, the best way to treat it is by “dry-docking” the turt and applying Betadine to the affected areas.

It can go back into the water for a few hours each day when it can be fed, and the rest of the time it should be kept in a warm dry box.

Repeat this daily until it’s gone.

In the meantime you need to find and address the cause, poor water quality is the most likely, and lack of a proper basking area and correct lighting/heating. Do you know what the setup consists of?

johnpeten
    Participant

Hi Malti. The water in her tank is completely changed twice a week, Monday and Friday. The tank also has a small internal power filter.
    The basking area could be the problem. It only has a regular 60 watt incandescent bulb so UV is just about zero.
    In the meantime I will put her outside in the Sun in one of my small tanks without water but with a shaded area as well.
    Perhaps it is a good idea to put her permanent tank outside so that she gets natural sunlight. This is not a problem as I have a large second floor terrace.
    As for the medication I will enquire at the Pharmacy during my weekly visit into Town today.
    Many thanks.

johnpeten
    Participant

Although Betadine is the most common antiseptic used in Hospitals to clean skin before surgery, the Pharmacy did not carry it. We went through the pharmacopeia to find an equivalent without any luck.
    The Turtle spent 6 hours outside, the tank temperature went up to over 100° F until I shaded it.
    She is now back in her regular tank and the fuzz appears to have disappered.
    On Monday we will thoroughly clean the tank and move it onto the terrace. We will monitor the temperature very carefully. It will only receive direct sunlight for about 3 hours after dawn.

Malti
    Participant

This is the latest suggestion

If your friend is in Guatemala and has a large terrace, then a permanent outdoor pond would be a much better home for this turt.

and I’ll check but I think u could use Iodine?

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Nov 15 2009, 02:24 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    and I’ll check but I think u could use Iodine?

Betadine is a 10% solution of povidone-iodine, so I asked at the pharmacy for iodine but they had never heard of that either.

Guatemala is a little upside down. A Doctor’s prescription is not required to buy drugs here, providing you have the cash you can buy what you like in the pharmacy. However simple remedies are not available.

Most of our peasantry cannot afford to buy drugs at the pharmacy and rely on the local Medecine man. He knows the remedy for most ailments using local plants. Laboratory tests have proved that his knowledge of plants and their curative ability is correct. So if I continue to have Turtle problems I will have to spend a dollar and consult the Witchdoctor.

The cheapest drugs here are cocaine and marijuana

johnpeten
    Participant

Last night I added to the turtle’s tank an unidentified liquid from the “Pet Shop” that is supposed to cure fungus etc in fish.
    This morning the fungus has diminished and almost disappeared.

Attached files

Malti
    Participant

if u can’t find iodine – what about iodinized salt or kelp?

and I’d think the culprit is lack of a proper basking area and correct lighting/heating

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Nov 15 2009, 10:36 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    if u can’t find iodine – what about iodinized salt or kelp?

and I’d think the culprit is lack of a proper basking area and correct lighting/heating

The amount of iodine in salt is miniscule but salt baths have been used since time began as an antiseptic. I am not sure if a salt bath for the turtle would be acceptable or not.
    Tomorrow she will be in the Sun and I think the UV should cure the problem.

Many of our people live in very unhygenic conditions and their houses and bedding etc are infested with all sorts of nasty bugs. An airing in our bright sunshine kills these creatures.

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (johnpeten @ Nov 15 2009, 09:01 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The amount of iodine in salt is miniscule but salt baths have been used since time began as an antiseptic. I am not sure if a salt bath for the turtle would be acceptable or not.
    Tomorrow she will be in the Sun and I think the UV should cure the problem.

Many of our people live in very unhygenic conditions and their houses and bedding etc are infested with all sorts of nasty bugs. An airing in our bright sunshine kills these creatures.

yeah I think so too…

btw if u want me to send you iodine or something just tell me mate

johnpeten
    Participant

not a fungus its shedding its skin, not sure what the regular temperatures for a belize slider is but either the water is too warm or maybe its because its a wild caught turtle the environment change is causing it to shed excessively, its not really an emergency either way

Received the above from a guy on another forum. I hope he is right and tomorrow’s move to a more natural environment will solve the problem.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.