LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Two Fish To Positively Id And Issue With Plants

Home Forums My Aquarium Two Fish To Positively Id And Issue With Plants

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  JazzBora150 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

JazzBora150
    Participant

hi peeps two fish to id proper and what is wrong with my plant

and rocks are growing hair

any ideas on the plant and rock?

Attached files

Colin
    Participant

I’ll start the ball rolling!

The fish is an Ancistrus species AKA bristlenose but that’s as far as I can take that. just a juvenile.

Your plant is a species of Amazon sword Echinodorus and it has been commercially grown in an amphibious state. Its roots will have been in water and the leaves above water. Now you have put it under water the leaves are no use so the plant will kill them off and grown new leaves that are suitable for a submerged existence. The new leaves will take a while to appear so dont throw the plant out. The new leaves will be sword shaped, hence the name

The rock has an algae growing on it… if it’s a new tank it might pass with time. Excess nitrates and phosphates encourage algal growth so check out those parameters

Hope this helps?

Colin

JazzBora150
    Participant

colin

i was hoping to find out the exact species names of the two ancistrus to find out more about them how big they grow etc

the plants i understand would it help if i cut those leaves off so that the plant can put all its energy into the new leaves

as far as the rocks go ill check the parameters again but im almost sure they were all fine last week when i checked them

thanks

Colin
    Participant

Ancistrus – No chance, not from those pics. They are all much of a muchness though and most of the commonly available ones will get about 8-10cm. What did the shop sell them as? Most are fine in the same conditions.

Plants – No, if you cut off the leaves you’ll set it back. The plant is absorbing the nutrients from the leaves to reuse the energy. Never cut off a green leaf whether it is a house plant or an aquarium plant as your cutting off energy. Wait til the leaves are brown and withered.

Rocks – Algae mainly thrive due to an excess in nutrients. Plants normally out-compete algae but as your plants are dying back they wont be any use. What you need are some fast growing stem plants like Hygrophilia species. Let us know what the nitrate and phosphate are at. new tanks suffer more at the hands of algae than established tanks and is normally just part of the process… should go with time!

JazzBora150
    Participant

shop sold them as ancistrus no other names to go with them

ill check water tomorrow for levels and post them

odd thing is they had some albino ancistrus pure white

i take it like all albino they are just a freak of nature or do they commonly occur

would it be worth getting one they did look a bit nice in a peculiar way

JazzBora150
    Participant

another question

what growth rate can i expect from ancistrus the small one is 2.5 cm(spotted one) the larger about 5 cm

Matt
    Keymaster

They should grow pretty quick provided you offer a decent diet and stay on top of water changes.

coelacanth
    Participant

The damage to the leaves of the sword also looks to me in part like the result of a couple of hungry young Ancistrus paying them more attention than they should.
    Give them a slice of courgette, cucumber or something similar, maybe a blanched spinach leaf, they’ll appreciate it.

Plaamoo
    Participant

What size is your tank JB? I have 2 adult bristlenose (4 inches or so) in my 75 gal, 48x18x18, and it’s just right. They keep the tank in good shape. Keep in mind that they produce a lot of waste when considering more.

I’ve not seen hair algae quite like that on your rock, looks like the top of my head

JazzBora150
    Participant

hi plaamoo

my tank is a mear 125 litre tank 36″x14″x18″

but believe me thats gonna change ive got the bug now

so ill be looking for one at least twice that size

i like the look of my tank but i must admit myself its a bit cluttered

once i have the right tank set up thatll be me for a long time

i may remove half of the plants and the zebra danio x5, red eye x3 and black widow tetras x2

keeping the ancistrus x2 dwarf gourami x2 bolivian ram x1 cupid cichlid x1 apistogramma x2 and finally clown loach x2

my son now wants a tank so he will probably end up with my cast offs and my tank if i get a new one

as for the algae on the rock theres not a lot of it…. is it still like the top of your head

Attached files

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.