LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Tylomelania Sp. Snails

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters Tylomelania Sp. Snails

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Malti 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Richy
    Participant

I saw some of these in an lfs today and they look great but werent available as they just came in.

Tylomelania sp. Yellow Rabbit, White Spot Rabbit, Yellow Antenna, Gold Spot Rabbit and Chocolate “Poso” snails.

There is an article on PFK about them.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/….php?blogid=243

Has anyone got any? I’m getting some tomorrow /ohmy.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:o” border=”0″ alt=”ohmy.gif” />
    The shells were between 1-2″ long. I’ll get pics up when they settle in my tank

Matt
    Keymaster

Very cool critters looking forward to the pics mate.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I saw some of these down at Peterborough a few weeks ago and again at BAS yesterday and they do look cool creatures, at both places I also saw the new ones with the spikes all over their shells now they look very weird.

Matt
    Keymaster

Any other interesting stuff at BAS Mark?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

To be honest Matt I think I was to tired to really look properly but I wasnt to impressed with anything really and nothing shouted buy me /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

Matango
    Participant

Hi Richy,

I’ve got some of these snails, probably from the same lfs as you! Tyne Valley??

I bought 4, now have 6 with 2 babies

Some of the adults

Attached files

Richy
    Participant

Hi, it may have been me who sold you them, and yes it was that shop /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />
    I’ve been doing a bit more research and there seems to be a few different varieties, some yellow spot, some yellow smudge etc.
    For the last 2 weeks people have been saying, i got babies, and the shop has 5 that i know of but i hadn’t seen any in my tank and have been in a big strop like a child /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” /> I saw a yellow antenna baby /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

I’ll post my pics when i get them off the camera and edit, have some fish pics to edit and post to /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />
    What temp is your tank at, mine is about 26c /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Richy

EDIT* clean your glass you dirty b*gg*r lol

Matango
    Participant

Hi, yes it must have been you, and yes you mentioned this site /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />
    I’ve had the snails nearly a month now, 1 baby appeared about 2 weeks ago, then another yesterday, very happy they are doing well. Glad you found one too, its great when you do isn’t it!
    I have my tank at 27c and all seems ok, they travel all over, up the glass, mainly on the sand, leave cool trails in the sand.

As for food, they eat most pellets (bloodworm, algae, green mussel as well as others) cucumber, & peas/corn.

Orange snails would be great and unusual, did you have any of those in?

Cheers.

keith565
    Participant

i’ve managed to pick up a few species. elephant, gold spot, chocholate (poso). looking for a few more.
    here is a pic of the elephant snails.

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

How do you go about breeding these then chaps? Just let them get on with it?

Richy
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Apr 22 2009, 06:38 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    How do you go about breeding these then chaps? Just let them get on with it?

Yes, let them get on with life lol. They don’t lay eggs either, they hold them and the babies grow tucked up inside the shell then they release little ones. I think the article said they’re held on the right side in the shell. I have 2 babies now, yellow antenna and 2nd might be either white spot or yellow spot

Matango, no there wasn’t any “orange” but beleive me, they’re next on my snail wishlist /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” /> I guess he’ll deny it though lol

keith565
    Participant

what pics,lmao

Phill Austen
    Participant

Hello, does anybody know if keeping these lovely snails in hard water at 74f does them any harm? these were the conditions that I found them in at a local aquatic outlet, and, does anybody know where I can buy the orange bodied elephant snail that looks so good in the PFK article?
    Regards,
    Phill.

keith565
    Participant

hi Phill
    i keep these in ph 7.4 at about 74-76 and i’ve got a few youngsters from them all.
    i recently picked up some yellow rabbits, not sure what the orange bodied ones are, i’ve only seen the yellow, white spotted, gold spotted, yellow antennae and elephant.
    there is a seller on ebay advertising a few different ones, a little more than you would pay at the shops, buti’ve got the yellows off him and good snails and service. see if richy has been able to get any more.

keith565
    Participant

yellow rabbits

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.