LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Ulster Exile's Tanks And Fish

Home Forums My Aquarium Ulster Exile's Tanks And Fish

This topic contains 35 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  ulster exile 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

ulster exile

Tank 1 – 215 (ish) litre – excuse the poor pic quality (and the flash) and the algae, and the ugly CO2 hose I need to move…
    Leporacanthicus Heteradon (Golden Vampire)

Gold laser corydora (CW010)

Crossocheilus Siamensis (SAE)

Botia Striata (Zebra loach)

Nannostomous Beckfordi (golden pencilfish – female pictured I think)

The tank is also home to some neons/cardinals, a very shy L134 along with some amano and cherry shrimp.

ulster exile

Tank 2 – a 35 litre Elite, again, excuse the poor pics. This tank has only recently been set up.

Betta Splendens

Hyphessobrycon amandae (Ember Tetras)

Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Cherry Shrimp (female above, male below I think)

dunc
    Keymaster

Wow! They are some genuinely excellent photos /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

Thanks for sharing!

ulster exile

QUOTE(dunc @ Apr 3 2008, 06:41 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Wow! They are some genuinely excellent photos /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers Dunc

Matt
    Keymaster

Beautiful tanks and choice of fish mate. I love your Cryptocorynes

ulster exile

QUOTE(Matt @ Apr 3 2008, 07:32 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Beautiful tanks and choice of fish mate. I love your Cryptocorynes /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” />

The crypts are all C wendtii, but are not the greatest choice with the lighting I have. They are pretty much covered with Green Spot Algae, but when it gets too bad I regularly trim the leaves. The undersides of the leaves are a gorgeous pink though, which I like.

Tank 1 has 4 x 30W T8 whilst Tank 2 has 1 x 15W T8.

Tank 1 contains plain pea gravel with JBL The Seven Balls and Tetra Crypt tabs (in addition to the dry ferts I have just started to use). Tank 2 was set up with Eco-complete, but I’m waiting on CaribSea coming back to me on this, since my bag appears to be from a dodgy batch – does the job nutrient-wise, but isn’t uniformly black and contains some quite large bits in it.

I deliberated quite a bit over adding both the cherry shrimp and the tetras as I was concerned about their suitability. He was initially tried with a couple of shrimp, which he totally ignored so I tried him with the tetras (back up plan was in place

Matt
    Keymaster

Yeah I think H. amandae are one of the better choices to keep with a fighter too. Totally peaceful and not too vigorous at feeding time. Which species of dwarf sword is that at the front of the larger tank? I’ve never had any luck with those…

Mike
    Participant

Wow nice peice of aquascaping, tank looks fab,
    love your fish selection to, very nice indeed.

ulster exile

QUOTE(Matt @ Apr 4 2008, 05:51 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yeah I think H. amandae are one of the better choices to keep with a fighter too. Totally peaceful and not too vigorous at feeding time. Which species of dwarf sword is that at the front of the larger tank? I’ve never had any luck with those…

Not echinodorus, it’s sagittaria subulata. I tried echinodorus tennellus and preferred its finer leaves and overall look (especially the pink tinge it develops) but it wasn’t robust enough to survive the attentions of the corys/loaches/SAE’s long enough to become rooted so it came out in favour of the sag. The sag does well enough, but again is slow enough of a grower to end up with a bit of algae if kept in higher light but not in the shade.

ETA: Thanks muchly Mike

ulster exile

Very bored earlier so time for a wee update to share my boredom…

The ludwigia is turning nice and red

However, I am struggling to keep up with the heteranthera zosterifolia – it grows pretty fast and is very unruly and messy looking. I imagine I’m supposed to trim it very frequently, but I’m not sure where to start!

Matt
    Keymaster

Wow I love the changes you’ve made UE /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” />

keith565
    Participant

wow, stunning layout you have done, gives me some ideas. TFS

ulster exile

Thanks

dunc
    Keymaster

Yeah that looks excellent UE, top work. I really, really want to get a proper planted tank on the go but I’m as creative as a dead dog /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

ulster exile

Ah you’re all too kind really! If I’m totally honest, although I started with a specific design in mind, the tank has just evolved over time. I’ve called it a ‘work in progress’ elsewhere and that describes it perfectly as really I’m using it to learn.

I’d love to have the vision that George Farmer & co have when it comes to designing a tank but like you Dunc, I lack creativity.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.