LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

uninvited guest in my aquarium- possible health effects, ID help?

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters uninvited guest in my aquarium- possible health effects, ID help?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  aquariumhobbyist 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

aquariumhobbyist
    Participant

Well I got home today and was about to feed my P. Scalare and Corydoras when my eye caught something off place on the surface of the tank… perhaps you will be as surprised as I was; I have attached the pictures of my guest below.

photo-1-1.JPG

photo-3-2.JPG

Now as much as I love having guests around, I am worried about the consequences of this visit to my aquarium; both to my fish and to my directly.

BTW can anyone ID the critter?

ps: the green stuff is the duckweed form the tank as I scooped the little fella out.

aquariumhobbyist
    Participant

Based on the head structure and body shape, I’d guess this is either a Mediterranean Gecko (Hemidactylus turcicus) or a Kotschy’s gecko (Cyrtopodion kotschyi or Mediodactylus kotschyi according to a prior nomenclature)…?

coelacanth
    Participant

Where do you live? Can’t see any real issues, unless the gecko had wandered through something nasty en route to the aquarium, but you’d have known about that pretty quickly.

aquariumhobbyist
    Participant

@coelacanth said:
    Where do you live? Can’t see any real issues, unless the gecko had wandered through something nasty en route to the aquarium, but you’d have known about that pretty quickly.

Thanks for the reply. I was worried about its excrement and that it would contaminate the water with salmonella because I read that reptiles carry the bacteria in their digestive systems (helps them with digestion apparently) hence create a risk of infection every time I deal with the tank. 

I live in an apartment building. Shouldn’t have wandered through anything nasty but in a city you can’t really be sure. I did a 10% water change but I might do a 50% today just to be sure. Hopefully, the gecko didn’t take a dump while in my tank. Smile

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.