LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Unknown Fish

This topic contains 32 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  coelacanth 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Sofia

Hi there,

i have 4 of the following fish, but couldn’t find them in the knowledge base.

They were advertised as minnows I think. Can somebody tell me the exact name?
    Thanks

Attached files

keith565
    Participant

can we have a few more pics, but i think they are melanochromis auratus. a lake Malawi cichlid. quite a pugnacious fish if i remember rightly.
    http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/aquar…na_auratus.html

Matt
    Keymaster

Looks like M. auratus to me as well. These will like your hard water but are definitely not a community fish in the general sense. Profile here. I’d take these back to the shop and swap them for something more suitable for your tank.

Sofia

I looked at the pictures and that’s them. I wonder why he sold them to me in the first place?
    He knew what was in my tank, as he had told me not to go for any barbs, due to my guppies

keith565
    Participant

take them back, just put them in a bag and tell them they should not have sold them to you as they knew it was for a community tank. unless they actually thought they were a minnow, in which case they need to read up on the fish they sell.

Matt
    Keymaster

What Keith said

Sofia

Ok, I am trying to contact them first, because I am currently not in the best of health.

They have already started picking at each other and make the whole tank aggressive /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />
    I’ll let you all know what happens about the Malawi

Sofia

hi there
    i really have no idea why someone would suggest these would be ok as are normally aggressive so can only apologise and ask you return them when is suitable for you

regards

That’s the response I got from Aquacadabra, so I will take themn back either this evening, or tomorrow before lectures. Thanks all of you

Matt
    Keymaster

Good news Sofia

Sofia

Does somebody have an idea how i could catch them? They are impossible to catch! Been trying for hours now

Matt
    Keymaster

This may seem obvious, but do you have a net dear?

Sofia

I only have one net

keith565
    Participant

lol, sorry hun, just have to keep trying.

Sofia

After a joint effort of several minutes and stripping the tank to its bare gravel

keith565
    Participant

shame you had to strip the tank.
    you could get other tetras or danios. more platies or guppies. there is so much. how about a few corys to add to the collection? a bristlenose plec would be a good addition to keep the algae down. the world is your oyster for choice.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.