LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Unsuitable Tanks

Home Forums The Lounge Unsuitable Tanks

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Senor Bastardo 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Jarcave
    Participant

I’ve used the word tank in the thread title, really I should have used the word tub. Take a look at this :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BETTA-DOUBLE-BOW-FRO…=item5644779152

Thats been sold in the UK. If it was being sold in the far east I’d not bat an eyelid, but they’re here! I know the UK company distributing (I actually buy goods from them) and am very seriously thinking about contacting their directors and asking them to remove them from sale.

I wondered if any forum members in the trade or who have previously worked in the trade have ever been in a similar situation? If so, what was your experience?

I recently conveyed my displeasure to a wholesaler who regularly stocks RTC’s, TSN’s and Pangasius, the latter costing just 75p plus a potential 20% discount for quantity! Only to hit a brick wall. Their mentality…. If we don’t sell them, someone else will but not as “ethically” as ourselves!!!

What can you do?

Matt
    Keymaster

Human cull again…

ferox
    Participant

Is it really any worse than the “traditional” practice amongst Betta keepers of housing their males in a row of jam jars on the windowsill?

Anyway, as is often the case with products like this, people will buy them, kill a few fish, lose interest and the “tank” will end up in the shed along with the smoothie makers and abdominisers that seemed like a good idea at the time of buying but were only ever used once.

I notice the ad doesn’t state whether the divider is transparent or not.

Jarcave
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jun 23 2011, 12:30 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Human cull again…

ferox
    Participant

Joe Public has been keeping fish in inappropriate containers since fishkeeping began, and one more rubbish product on the market along with goldfish bowls and Biorbs is neither here nor there. I think it unlikely that the importer of this product would be moved to give up on a profitable business on the grounds of inhumanity to fish.

The positive side of this (and there is a positive side) is that these things are so cheap as to make a start in fishkeeping accessible to individuals that may be interested in trying it out but not sufficiently interested yet to commit themselves to throwing a lot of money at it.
    If kids start off by killing a few fish in this product or in the plastic ‘Finding Nemo’ or ‘Barbie’ theme tanks I see on sale everywhere they’ll either lose interest very quickly, no great harm done, or be spurred on to find out how to do it right. How many of us developed our passion by starting out trying unsuccessfully to keep minnows in a bucket?

Not, I may hasten to add, that I’d dream of endorsing junk products such as these!

Matt
    Keymaster

47 comments on FB, of which 99% are negative…

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

Hmmmm….

47 comments out of which 99% are negative. Back too school Matt!!!

Matt
    Keymaster

Would you prefer some kind of graphical representation with precise percentages?

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

No that wont be necessary, I´ll just settle for the unceartainty numbers. On my desk, tomorrow at the very latest if you please….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.