LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Upside Down Catfish

Home Forums My Aquarium Upside Down Catfish

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Kit117033 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Kit117033
    Participant

I bought one of these little critters (Upside down catfish) in October 2008 because they looked kinda cool – swimming upside down! I put “Oscar” in his new tank & he immediately went & hid inside one of the ornaments & stayed there!!!!! /blink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blink:” border=”0″ alt=”blink.gif” />

I paid £5.99 for him & was beginning to think that this was a waste of money for a fish I never see!

However, the other day I spotted him out of his “house” for the first time during the day, & on the side of it staying very still – as soon as I moved he disappeared back inside /ohmy.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:o” border=”0″ alt=”ohmy.gif” />

So any ideas on the sudden change in behaviour? (6 months of hiding to being out & about over night) not that I’m complaining of course

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Kitt

This can happen with Synodontis. My article on Synodontis albolineatus is still on the Scotcat website (www.scotcat). Have a read as the albolineatus stayed ‘out of vew’ for 12 months before starting to make ‘regular appearances’.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Kit just to add to what David has said my hunch is you don’t have an upside-down cat S. nigriventris but one of those sold with the name like S. nigrita or similar.

S. nigriventris.

Juvenile S. nigrita. Pic credit: scotcat.com

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I have 5 large true nigriventris in my 250 gallon tank and for the first month or so they were out and about all the time but I am lucky if I see 1 a week now, I catch glimpses of them under the bogwood but they rarely venture out into open water when the lights are on to the point where occasionally I forget they are even in there

Kit117033
    Participant

Hiya

as “Oscar” was out again this morning, I tried to get a picture of him (I’m sorry it’s not very clear) so that you could maybe tell me what type he is!

Attached files

Richy
    Participant

Hi Kit, i’m at the same feelings it’s not the S. nigriventris. aswell. I’m really sorry but i can’t tell from this photo. Could you try another photo please /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Kit117033
    Participant

QUOTE (Richy @ Apr 25 2009, 08:25 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Kit, i’m at the same feelings it’s not the S. nigriventris. aswell. I’m really sorry but i can’t tell from this photo. Could you try another photo please /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

I’ve managed to find a pic on the web that looks very much like Oscar! Hope this helps

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

That is one of my nigriventris

Matt
    Keymaster

Lmao @ omnipresent Mark! /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” /> Looks like you have the real deal, Kit.

Kit117033
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Apr 25 2009, 11:49 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Lmao @ omnipresent Mark! /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” /> Looks like you have the real deal, Kit. /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” /> So now that we have that cleared up – why doesn’t he swim upside down any more?

Since “Oscar” started showing himself, he’s either stuck to the outside of his house or he swims (the right way up) skimming over the gravel in search of food. Even if he gets spooked he still swims the right way up (all be it very fast!)

Hmmm maybe sharing his “house” with a sucking loach has given Oscar an identity crisis!

Matt
    Keymaster

That would suggest to me that it’s not a nigriventris (again)…

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Another angle? In the U.K. we have seen a fish known as Synodontis nigriventris ‘black’ (not to be confused with the Syno. ‘species black marmoratus’, which we pictured alongside albino Kribensis in Aquarium Gazette Issue 8’s beautifully illustrated article on Kribensis) which is not a true nigriventris but a hybrid (possibly with nigrita?). Could this be Kitt’s fish?

Regards David

Kit117033
    Participant

Hiya I have another pic for you – I hope this is easier for you to see better. /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

Kit x

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

That looks like nigriventris to me, mine don’t swim upside down all of the time, they are only really upside down when hiding or at rest or swimming in the upper areas of the tank, obviously when feeding which is the most common time they are seen they have to swim with mouth downwards.

Personally I would try and find some more and add at least a couple more

Mark Duffill
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Apr 25 2009, 11:49 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Lmao @ omnipresent Mark! /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

The wife found that quite apt and amusing, what can I say

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.