LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Urgent, Ill Guppy

Home Forums My Aquarium Urgent, Ill Guppy

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Senor Bastardo 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Michelle and Rich
    Participant

Hi,

Just noticed my guppy is severely swollen on his belly area. He was fine this morning. Behaviour is still normal, however, he was swimming on the surface yesterday (not sure if this has any relevance but thought I’d mention it) He appears to be normal, just perhaps a little slower than usual.

Do I need to remove him from my tank?

I’ve attached a photo, please advise. New fish keeper and need help.

Many Thanks

Michelle

Attached files

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

Not a guppy man myself but a friend of mine keeps and breeds them. Apparently they can develop a condition like that when being fed a diet with to much protein and not enough fibre. Try cooking som oat meal (without salt obviously) and freeze it in small pellets just not to cloud the water to much.

Michelle and Rich
    Participant

ok will do, at the mo they have been fed on live bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp and flake food. Alternating it each day, We have 5 males and it just seems to be the 1 affected.

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

That diet is a bit rich for guppys I believe (still not a guppy expert). Avoid the blood worm unless they are given as an occasional treat. Frozen brine shrimp is my staple diet for all my fish and it has quite a bit of shell in relation to it´s protein content which I believe is good for fish. Try a more vegetable based flake for them and they should be fine, guppys are a lot but not picky eaters.

Michelle and Rich
    Participant

thanks for the reply. i’m goin give them something fibrous 2nite and then stick to the flake and brine. thanks again. fingers crossed it will be ok as the last thing i want is to wipe out my whole tank.

Michelle and Rich
    Participant

one of the guppies passed away yesterday. It wasn’t the one with a swollen belly though. I thought he was actin strange as he was at the surface alot almost like he was trying to grab air. all parameters ok. any ideas anyone pls.

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

If none of the other fish show any symptoms of being sick than just wait and feed very sparingly. If you don´t have any really small fish or fry in the tank starve them for a couple of days.

And of course, keep an eye on them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.