LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Using Oak Bark In A Tank

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Using Oak Bark In A Tank

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Bluedave 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

rob
    Participant

there’s some lovely pieces of oak bark in my local park – is it possible to treat it to make it safe for use in a tank? the tank in question is a new one I’ve just set up for a crayfish (unheated/room temperature). I don’t mind water colouration but (obviously) don’t want to add anything that’d be detrimental to water quality.

Rob

Matt
    Keymaster

Hmm dunno mate but think bark might be prone to rotting. I’ve used oak leaves and branches but always stripped the bark away beforehand.

Bluedave
    Participant

never used it but it would probably break up, I would have thought?

Crayfish are cool, the kids loved feeding our last one.

Colin
    Participant

Hi, It’ll last a good while before it breaks up, although you’ll need to weigh it down with a couple of bricks! It is very light. I have used it with no problems

rob
    Participant

cool, thanks guys /cool.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”B)” border=”0″ alt=”cool.gif” />

will post some pics when I’ve picked a piece & arranged it.

Rob

Bluedave
    Participant

If it’s breakable – he’ll break it……

coelacanth
    Participant

Watch it doesn’t lower the pH to levels which will give the Cray shedding issues.

Phill Austen
    Participant

I have found that boiling of any wood or bark before adding it to a tank seems to help prevent what look like fungal growths appearing on it. I think any material like wood that breaks down in the water reduces the ORP of the tank. The major problem that I find with boiling prospective decor, is finding a sufficiently large utensil.

Bluedave
    Participant

QUOTE (Phill Austen @ Mar 24 2010, 07:30 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I have found that boiling of any wood or bark before adding it to a tank seems to help prevent what look like fungal growths appearing on it. I think any material like wood that breaks down in the water reduces the ORP of the tank. The major problem that I find with boiling prospective decor, is finding a sufficiently large utensil.

Good point Phil. If you cant find something big enough I’d suggest throwing it in the bath and pouring
    boiling water from a kettle or a few big pans on it a few times.

rob
    Participant

QUOTE (Bluedave @ Mar 24 2010, 01:30 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Good point Phil. If you cant find something big enough I’d suggest throwing it in the bath and pouring
    boiling water from a kettle or a few big pans on it a few times.

cheers guys. it seems to be doing OK. i’m keeping on top of the water changes & the little fella seems quite happy & is eating his cockles /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” />

Bluedave
    Participant

QUOTE (rob @ Mar 29 2010, 09:10 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    still need to get some good pics on here
    Author
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.