LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Uv Sterilizers

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Uv Sterilizers

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Plaamoo 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

shamanofsexy

Are they important?? (in a marine tank)

read contrasting opinions and am now confused.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I am hoping to set up a nano tank soon and the setup I am looking at does have one built in but from what I have read if I went with a system that didn’t have one built in I wouldn’t bother. I think it depends more on the size of the setup, if you are talking big reef then I think they are a good investment.

I think a lot of the time it does come down to personal preference but I think the more your spending the more wise an investment.

Malti
    Participant

what does a Uv sterilizer do? (I’m not good on marine…)

shamanofsexy

There designed to kill any free floating bacteria in the water. I assume this means good and bad as how wil it know the difference. But its a Ultra violet light inside a case that that the water travels through so only affect free floating so doesnt affect anything on live rock, inside gravel etc…

Some people say there essential for a tank to protect from illness

Others say they dont do anything that water changes dont do.

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (shamanofsexy @ Dec 30 2009, 12:13 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    There designed to kill any free floating bacteria in the water. I assume this means good and bad as how wil it know the difference. But its a Ultra violet light inside a case that that the water travels through so only affect free floating so doesnt affect anything on live rock, inside gravel etc…

Some people say there essential for a tank to protect from illness

Others say they dont do anything that water changes dont do.

thx for the info

Mark Duffill
    Participant

In a moment of madness after my 250 gallon tank was wiped out by a very bad case of white spot and secondary bacterial infection I added a UV to the tank, I know its freshwater but like marine there are those that do and those that don’t.

After a couple of weeks of running I noticed that the fish especially the loaches didn’t look happy at all so I turned the UV of and within 24 hours the fish were back to normal, I came to the conclusion at the time that although killing bad bacteria and other free floating nasties it was also wiping out any free floating beneficial bacteria as well, needless to say it hasn’t been back on since and will probably end up on the pond next year.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Some interesting info here, especially the “redox potential” bit. I just use mine in a small q tank for the last week or two of quarantine.
    http://americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquari…rilization.html

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.