LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Vanishing Amano Shrimp

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters Vanishing Amano Shrimp

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Saxodave 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Saxodave
    Participant

I’m looking for ideas as to why my Amano shrimp has vanished! I bought one on Saturday to join my cherry shrimp and other ‘blue’ shrimp I already have in my tank. He was very active for the first couple of days, he did moult on Sunday and hide for a while but was active again on Monday. However, he has now completely disappeared; no sign whatsoever. Other tank-mates are 7 Harlequins and 8 Cardinals and two snails.

Has anyone any ideas as to what may have happened? Thanks.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

It could just be one of those things Dave, I have had ammano snuff it for no apparent reason after a few days before and others that have lived for years. They are particularly vulnerable after shedding and this is the time when most shrimps, crayfish and lobsters are lost. It does consume a lot of energy when shedding so I would say this is the most likely cause.

Saxodave
    Participant

Thanks Mad Duff. A new piece of evidence has just come to light! My 10 year old daughter is distraught because she has found the Amano shrimp, dead, by our living room, on the floor. It is about four feet from the tank. It has obviously been dead for a couple of days. Would it have climbed out of the tank? I can’t possibly see how I could have hoiked it out as all my plant trimming, water changes and gravel cleaning were done the day before I bought the shrimp. There is a hole in the lid where the filter hose goes through though. Would he…? Could he…?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

They will climb out of the tank, I had 10 in a 3ft tank in the spare bedroom and the wife nearly killed me when she found two one morning in the bottom of the shower lol. Over the next couple of weeks more got out even though I sealed up any holes that they could have used, the cat found a couple and ate them and the wife found the last one in the bathroom a few weeks later

Saxodave
    Participant

Right. Now I know that I will seal up all possible escape routes and purchase another and try again. I might not let the wife know what you’ve just told me though! Thanks again for your help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.