LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Want Rid Of Snails? I Have A Solution…

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters Want Rid Of Snails? I Have A Solution…

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Hokum 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hokum
    Participant

I bought some “glass” shrimp from my local Maidenhead aquatics, and after about 3 months managed to identify them as Macrobrachium lanchesteri, one of the smaller Macrobrachium species.

They are a bit of a pest but also very funny for running off with sinking pellets and algae wafers, but they are also serious snail eaters.

They will tackle pond snails up to about 2cm long and mash the smaller snails rapidly. They don’t seem agressive to my loach and danios yet but i’m keeping an eye on them if they grow any larger.

Bully
    Participant

I generally don’t recommend keeping Macrobrachium sp. with fish due to their predatory nature but, it seems that M. lanchesteri is one of the exceptions, so long as there are no juvenile fish or fry.

At least you have a natural solution to your snails

Hokum
    Participant

Very true, some of them get to truely huge sizes, rosenbergii for example!

I must admit, when i bought them, i had thought they were Palaemonetes paludosus, when i asked the staff member, they said they only got to about 2cm… I was after them as algae eaters as i had a BBA issue at the time.

But they have not shown any agression to my fish yet only fending them away from wafers etc.

One of my work mates has a larger 150 Litre tank with larger non aggressive fish and has shown an interest as after alot of research i think my tank is too cool at 21C as i think they prefer 25C+

But they do seem to be proficient snail eaters for those who have the right conditions.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.