LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Water Changes

Home Forums My Aquarium Water Changes

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  ender2811 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

ender2811
    Participant

Hey guys,
    Am currently cycling my tank. Fishless, but I have planted a couple of plants in there. My question is do I do regular water changes or do I wait for the cycle to end?
    Also I’m adding flakes daily since I couldn’t get any pure ammonia. Would it be better to go with prawns or stick with the fish food?

Bully
    Participant

Do you have a means of testing the water?

I wouldn’t worry about water changes at this point, unless your parameters go off the scale as too much ammonia will eventually inhibit the cycle.

ender2811
    Participant

Yea, I have all the tests. No ammonia as of yet. I’m not worried of an ammonia spike, I couldn’t even get any used gravel or filter media or anything so its probably gonna take some time till any bacteria kick in. I actually wouldn’t want to waste the ammonia once stuff starts decomposing but I’m not sure how the plants would like it. Not the ammonia, I know they use it as well, I mean the same water for a month???
    How much is too much ammonia anyway?

Bully
    Participant

If you’re not getting any ammonia from the fish food, then I would think about using a prawn. When fishless cycling, the most stated ammonia level appears to be around the 3ppm or 4ppm mark. I don’t know at which point too much ammonia stalls a cycle but, the anecdotal evidence from many fishless cycling blogs/diaries etc., suggests that 3ppm or 4ppm is high enough and effective.

ender2811
    Participant

I know I should aim for about 5ppm NH3, that isn’t the issue. I can easily change some water if it or anything else jumps up too much but theoretically I shouldn’t do water changes otherwise regardless of the plants, yes???

Bluedave
    Participant

no water changes – defeats the object, plants will be fine.

ender2811
    Participant

OK, and what about the prawns, do I use them, how many, for how long aprox? Till I get the desired ammonia concentration or longer? I tried to get pure ammonia but alas, its been put on the dangerous substances list in Croatia. We have a real progressive minister of health /ph34r.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:ph34r:” border=”0″ alt=”ph34r.gif” /> .
    Also do u have an idea about a natural source of bacteria I could use. I don’t want to use soil because those aren’t really aquatic species in there.

Matt
    Keymaster

As far as I know the bacteria that develop will be relatively specific depending on your water chemistry/source so ‘seeding’ the tank could be tricky? Certainly wouldn’t bother with any bottled product.

ender2811
    Participant

Yea, didn’t even think of buying any of that stuff. Those are mostly enzymes, they show an instant drop in ammonia and then they just decay like anything else organic. Might be useful as a nitrogen source though

Bluedave
    Participant

a couple of prawns in a net bag should do it.

How long have you been cycling it – if your using fish food it could take a couple of weeks before you see any ammonia – could take 6 weeks to cycle the tank with that method (prawns may not be any quicker).

Patience young padawan…..

ender2811
    Participant

Thanks Dave. It’s only been a couple of days. I was just asking to get some general sense of when things might happen.

Extra credit for the Star Wars reference.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.