LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Weather Loaches

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Weather Loaches

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Thomas 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Thomas
    Participant

Ah, sorry Matt, I have the paper already. If You speak about “A review of the spined loaches in korea – Ik-Soo Kim 2009?

If I compare the pic of M. mizolepis with mine Misgurnus I would say this species falls out.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hmm had a look myself and see your point. Not sure we can discount it totally based on differences in body patterning though? At any rate, maybe let’s see if we can find details of any other Misgurnus spp. recorded from southern China?

Thomas
    Participant

bought three Paramisgurnus today (2,1). Another difference between Misgurnus anguillicaudatus and Paramisgurnus dabryanus is the Lamina circularis. M.a. has a more rounded and P.d. a spade-shaped (Info is from Kottelat, M. and J. Freyhof, 2007. Handbook of European freshwater fishes.) The new males have this spade-shaped LC.

The new shipment was named as Misgurnus anguillicaudatus, but as I see it, there are only Paramisgurnus.

Cheers,

Thomas

Pic 1: a spotted male with golden shining.

Pic 2: the other male, lesser spotted and brighter as the first male

Pic 3: pectoral fin with the lamina circularis

param1.jpgparam2.jpgparam_lc.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

Looking good and nice pics Thomas. :) The variability within this species is quite something.

Thomas
    Participant

Will try to get a pic of the pectoral fin from a M.a. male for comparing.

Any chance to get the original description of Misgurnus mizolepis and Paramisgurnus dabryanus?

Matt
    Keymaster

I have the M. mizolepis one, will send it over now.

Thomas
    Participant

Some new pics:

Female:

paramis_f.jpgparamis_f2.jpg

Male:

paramis_m2.jpg

And a better pic of the pectoral fin of a male:

paramis_m.jpg

I have noticed that (my) Paramisgurnus more rest between plants under the water surface. My Misgurnus don’t do that, they are more on the bottom (with exceptions)

Thomas
    Participant

I have a few times seen one male attached to a female and swim with the female around. Sometimes the male try to embrace the female but she is on the run. Today I’ve luck and could do a small movie of the “pairswimming”. At the end the male leave the female and try to connect to a Misgurnus – without success. Although the two species can interbreed

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lTBhEkHJSf4

I don’t think the female is gravid currently, but it looks good and I’m hoping there will happen something in the future.

Cheers,

Thomas

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.