LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Welcome To Fish Keeping.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Welcome To Fish Keeping.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Eyrie 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

AlakaAlaki
    Participant

Just started keeping fish about a month ago (see introduction

Matt
    Keymaster

Is the filter still running in the bowl with the fish?

thelizzious

OMG! That is a nightmare! I think everybody who has aquariums has nightmares like that. It would be nice to know what we, the amateur fish-keeprs, could do incases like this. Put up an Emergency Page on the Science thread or something like that? Good luck AlakaAlaki!

AlakaAlaki
    Participant

Matt: No, the filter isn’t. I tried just now but its really too large and also I can’t cover the “tank” and I don’t want the danios to jump out.

thelizzious: Thanks! Good to know I’m not alone heh.

Eyrie
    Participant

Try to at least keep the filter underwater, even if it’s just in a bucket. The bacteria will start to die off without a source of food but this is surprisingly slow (1-2% daily) as they will go dormant first.

You could even provide some ammonia by topping up the water in the bucket with the water that the fish are currently in. You’ll need to change that regularly anyway to avoid the ammonia and nitrIte building up. Goes without saying that the fish must not be fed until they’re back in the proper tank.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.