LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Wels Catfish!

Home Forums The Lounge Wels Catfish!

This topic contains 17 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jackd 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Plaamoo
    Participant

Not sure where to post this?

Have you seen any of these over there Matt? I’d think twice about swimming in this river!
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/…ne-catfish.html
    http://animal.discovery.com/tv/river-monsters/

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey plaamoo

THANK YOU for the link.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

Not seen one yet Jim but I know they’ve had a massive effect on the native fish in the Ebro. Promised to take my Dad fishing there when he visits next so let’s see what we find.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Did you see ‘River Monsters’ on ITV this evening? Those Spanish Wels are certainly something special.

Regards David

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I saw that program last night David, there are going to be some true monsters in the Ebro very soon at the rate they are growing /ohmy.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:o” border=”0″ alt=”ohmy.gif” />

I have been lucky enough to catch a Wells and even though it was only 50lb it still had a gob like a bucket and turned to bite my hand when released.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Mark

It was very interesting how both of the Wels catfish that were caught tried to bite the angler upon release.

I have seen large Wels in public aquaria, in Germany, but have never seen one caught on rod and line.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

Did the program mention the decimation of endemic species the release of this and other non-natives has caused in the Ebro guys?

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Matt

Yes it did mention the ecological implications.

The programme on Thursday is all about Giant Gars in North America.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

Mmm I miss a few things about British TV…

coelacanth
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Dec 6 2009, 07:39 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Did the program mention the decimation of endemic species the release of this and other non-natives has caused in the Ebro guys?

Are you aware of any research covering this? It’d be good to have something to throw back at those who think it’s great having them there.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

If I remember correctly it was a team of German researchers who released the original Wels into the Ebro. Because the dam water is hot these fish not only grew to mammoth size but have reproduced in large numbers.

In Germany ‘Wels attacks’ on humans are usually in defence of fry. In this respect they attack the legs of swimmers.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (coelacanth @ Dec 8 2009, 04:19 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Are you aware of any research covering this? It’d be good to have something to throw back at those who think it’s great having them there.

It’s not very well studied and having done a bit of research this morning it seems to be suspected rather than proven that the species is having a detrimental effect on native fish stocks, which just goes to show you can’t believe everything you’re told. here, here and here (scroll down past the Catalan in the last one).

Having said that it’s still depressing how difficult it is to find a river or lake containing only native species here in Spain, see here and particularly here. Also this from 13 years ago in which recommendations were made but have not been followed, and this new one which shows the wels is still spreading.

I also have a paper on decline of native fish species in Catalunya that isn’t available as open access if anyone wants it.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Matt

Sadly similar stories emerge from all corners of the globe. As with the Killie group in Spain it is, mainly, small groups of dedicated people who fight to save endangered species of freshwater fish.

Regards David

Jackd
    Participant

I think I might have a baby in one of my tanks. Saw this strange cat with a big mouth in the local fish store and bought it. Was maybe 3 inches a month and a half ago and now is close to 10 inches.

Jack

Have a more common baby giraffe cat I just got too:

Best regards,
    jack

Matt
    Keymaster

The first one looks more like a Wallago?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.