LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

What is a good hardy low temperature algae eater?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes What is a good hardy low temperature algae eater?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  oaken 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

zaccentra

I need this fish to be able to withstand temperatures as low as 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Thanks for the help in advance.

BigTom
    Participant

This is not my area of expertise so I don’t have a suggestion, but you’ll probably get more of a response if you elaborate a bit – tank size, other occupants, water chemistry, what type of algae you’re having problems with, etc. Often you can significantly impact algae by reducing light and fluctuations in CO2 availability or adding other plant biomass.

Catre
    Participant

The florida flagfish is a great algae eater and can live happily at a wide range of temperatures (down to around 18 celsius) but 60 fahrenheit is 15 celsius which is  is very low for any tropical fish. Even fancy goldfish and white cloud minnows which are  temperate fish are kept above this temperature – fancy goldfish usually close to 21 celsius and white clouds above 16 celsius.
    You’d probably be better to get a heaterstat in the tank.

What other fish do you have at the moment and how big is the tank?

In america there may be more choice for the low temperature range. Anything that can survive at low temperatures is banned here incase they establish in the wild by surviving the winter.

oaken
    Participant

Not a fish, but I would recommend ramshorn snails. They are fantastic algae eaters and tolerate very low temperatures. They won’t add much to the bioload either which is a bonus :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.