LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

What Is This Fish?

Home Forums My Aquarium What Is This Fish?

This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  andy rushworth 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Reva
    Participant

experts…what is this guy and what does he eat? thanks!

Attached files

Bully
    Participant

Do you have a better image?

I would take a wild guess at Nannostomus eques, Hockeystick Pencilfish. If so, I think very small foods are needed as Pencilfish tend to have small mouths for their size.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Luchiocephalus Pulcher , common name of pike head ! they are livebearing labyrinths , they get to about 6 inches and do well on a diet of small fishes Danio’s etc ! they mouthbrood their young , years ago I bought a couple of them and as they went into their new tank they spat out a load of youngsters !

mickthefish
    Participant

thought the same Andy, i was playing about trying to get the pic bigger but to no avail. huh

mick

Reva
    Participant

an aquaintance who works in a fish shop got a shipment of them and doesnt know what they are. some of them died and wont eat. he has tried danios and they ate those. let me see if he will email me a bigger picture. thanks guys

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Reva , it could be possible that the ones that are refusing to eat have young fishes in their mouths ? if I remember correctly mine only ever ate swimming food [ its a good while since ] b t w there is another member in the genus who’s name escapes me , but they both look pretty similar .

Apart from their live food addiction they were pretty mild mannered non aggresive fish !

Matt
    Keymaster

Hey Andy the other one is L. aura.

Bully
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Aug 9 2009, 01:06 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Great id’ing skills from such a small image I must say!

I agree

Reva
    Participant

I am still waiting on a larger pic, and will ask him regarding possible mouth brooding. Too bad these ended up in a fish store *sigh* Thank you Andy and all

andy rushworth
    Participant

Thanks , though its only because I’ve kept them myself

Reva
    Participant

Hopefully this bigger picture comes out Andy….

Attached files

mickthefish
    Participant

thats the babies, a shop near us gets them in every now and again, unusual but in a nice way is this fish.
    the biggest problem is getting enough foods for them.

mick

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Reva , they look in pretty good condition !

Reva
    Participant

so they are Luchiocephalus Pulcher aka Pikehead ? Pikehead gar or cichlid? I am really ignorant on these guys….any guidelines for me to tell the guy who accidentally got them?

Eyrie
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.