LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

What kind of stiphodon I have?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes What kind of stiphodon I have?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

anarumbera
    Participant

i was told rainbow, but now I doubt it… Thanks for your help 

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/anabarbera/DD56BD50-F6F1-4CBE-AFA5-9930F9E45CFB_zpscgqlnrpe.jpg

Plaamoo
    Participant

It’s a female. That’s for sure. :) Do you have a male? Females are so similar!

Barb Man
    Participant

Just as Plaamoo said that is a female and they all look almost identical. My male is a S. semoni I think and he is the one pictured. IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

anarumbera
    Participant

@plaamoo said:
    It’s a female. That’s for sure. :) Do you have a male? Females are so similar!

I will get a male, thanks!

anarumbera
    Participant

@barb Man said:
    Just as Plaamoo said that is a female and they all look almost identical. My male is a S. semoni I think and he is the one pictured. 

Thanks for the help. I was sure it was not a rainbow, it can be a semoni, does it grow too much?

Plaamoo
    Participant

Hopefully you can get a male from the same place and hope they haven’t mixed them.

anarumbera
    Participant

I got this one

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/anabarbera/6409f783579ffc60f4180c156b908006_zpsaynixayp.jpg

Barb Man
    Participant

He doesn’t look very colored up yet but hopefully he is the same as the female and they get along. He really should have another female too because it is stated that the minimum should really be two f and one m but I only have my male now because the females didn’t eat very well and got sick and died.

Looks like it might be a male rainbow but I can’t see the big dorsal fin so not sure. My opinion is that he just needs to color up if he really is a rainbow but he might be something else.

One concern I have is that I didn’t see any algae on the rocks in the pictures and the rocks were volcanic by the looks of them and Stiphodon are very strictly algae eaters and need lots of food because they graze constantly. I suggest if there isn’t already a good amount of algae on rocks or boulders the use of an algae nursery as described in all the profiles. I’m about to make one that will be outside

anarumbera
    Participant

@barb Man said:
    He doesn’t look very colored up yet but hopefully he is the same as the female and they get along. He really should have another female too because it is stated that the minimum should really be two f and one m but I only have my male now because the females didn’t eat very well and got sick and died.
    Looks like it might be a male rainbow but I can’t see the big dorsal fin so not sure. My opinion is that he just needs to color up if he really is a rainbow but he might be something else.
    One concern I have is that I didn’t see any algae on the rocks in the pictures and the rocks were volcanic by the looks of them and Stiphodon are very strictly algae eaters and need lots of food because they graze constantly. I suggest if there isn’t already a good amount of algae on rocks or boulders the use of an algae nursery as described in all the profiles. I’m about to make one that will be outside

It doesnt eat food tabs? Or any veggie food?

in this video you can see them better

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SfNodKieS9c

Plaamoo
    Participant

They usually will learn to eat wafers & flake but it’s not the best thing for them. Your tank looks beautiful but not the best habitat for these fast water gobies. I’m guessing by the beautiful moss that you’re adding Co2. The rocks look volcanic and rough. Smooth river stones and large leafed plants that can grow aufwuchs are better. And plenty of water movement for oxygenation.

anarumbera
    Participant

@plaamoo said:
    They usually will learn to eat wafers & flake but it’s not the best thing for them. Your tank looks beautiful but not the best habitat for these fast water gobies. I’m guessing by the beautiful moss that you’re adding Co2. The rocks look volcanic and rough. Smooth river stones and large leafed plants that can grow aufwuchs are better. And plenty of water movement for oxygenation.

Okk, I’ll take it into account, thanks 

Barb Man
    Participant

Yeah they are more of a hillstream fish. Keeping them with loaches would be the best route. They normally don’t live with any other species besides themselves though. Other gobies would be fine. Most stiphodon could be kept together. In reality I’m sure if you had a big enough tank you could keep all of the common ones together. They would separate themselves out and it would be cool to see. I would say try a catfish if you want a bottom fish. If you need colorful as I assume because gobies are very colorful then go rhinogobious. They are slightly different but can be colorful as well 

Matt
    Keymaster

Stiphodon occur alongside plenty of other stream-dwelling species in the wild. Personally seen them swimming alongside Redigobius, Glossogobius and Barboides lateristriga. Also check some of the profile pics or Youtube videos from our contributor Odyssey – here’s an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTanoaHxs-U

Barb Man
    Participant

Those fish were awesome. The black bodies weren’t as cool as the orange but either would be very nice to keep. I thought because they often moved up waterfalls gobies were often the only type of fish found in their native streams.

Was there a mosquitofish in there? or a guppy?

Those rhinogobius were very cool too but I didn’t see any bright males probably because the video was focused on the stiphodon and the rhinos weren’t breeding

Matt
    Keymaster

Guppies I think.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.