LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

What Will Go Nice In My New Marine Tank?

Home Forums My Aquarium What Will Go Nice In My New Marine Tank?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  HeidiRobin 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

HeidiRobin
    Participant

I have just set up a Marine tank. Its just got to the stage of Live Rock which was pre-cured and added to it 5 days ago, Hence why I now have what is called a Stomatella Varia Snail in it. Polyps are growing and other little critters have joined in. Once the tank has sat a bit longer and everything tested again and the all clear is given, what options of fish can i have. Its just a Live Rock only tank. I would like a couple of Pacific Shrimp and a tiny Hermit crab to start with would this be possible?? My tank is only 160 litres. What other fish could i gradually add to it, any recommendations greatly appriciated.

Thank you

Colin
    Participant

That is entirely up to your taste Heidi… why not have a scour about the Interweb and see what looks good to you and then if it would be suitable in your tank.

I’d give it another couple weeks before adding fish as even “pre-cured” live rock can be unpredictable for a while

are you using a skimmer… what filter? lights?

HeidiRobin
    Participant

Hiya,

Yep I have a skimmer and an outside filter plus a pump given water motion. I actualyy don’t plan on putting anything in it for a couple of weeks anyway. And then that’s after everything has been tested again pH, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, Salt etc. Did a calcium test today just out of thought and that came back good. Not sure if I need to test the Alk??? As I’m doing fish only and not coral. ?? What sturdy strong beginners fish are there to choose from?? I shall get my Marine Books out yet again and have another look, but there are so many amazing ones. I just want to get things right. I don’t have any problems with money, I just want the fishes to be happy and that’s what counts.

Colin
    Participant

Hi

as long as you are performing regular water changes then calcium and alkalinity should be fine for your needs, pH and salinity is more important, what are both by the way?

Dont be tempted to get damsels and stuff like that. yes they are hardy but can also be aggressive. I would start with shrimps, hermits, snails and then maybe something like a blenny as i like them a lot, probably midas blenny… but i also like the simbiotic blenny shrimp relationship so that would temp me too

i only have one marine tank now with a 1m long Gymnothorax favagineus but before that kept many octopuses and cuttlefish, often with other inverts

cheers

HeidiRobin
    Participant

Hello /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” /> /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” />

HeidiRobin
    Participant

Question please….

Would a MandarinFish ( When tank has matures that is, am i right in saying 6 months +?? ) get along with :

5 Hermit Crabs
    5 Turbo Snails
    2 cleaner shrimps
    2 Common Clowns
    1 red spotted Blenny
    1 Tuxedo Urchin
    1 stomatella snail ( hiked on the live rock)

my tank at the minute is 3 months old and doing well with Live Rock growths etc… and is 160 litres and water tests have been as below since the start

Ph: 8
    Nitrate: 10

Would like a couple more fish as well like a Royal Gamma and something else. Would that amount be ok, or is it too much
    Nitrite:0
    Ammonia: 0

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.