LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Which Schistura?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Which Schistura?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 7 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Kajsa12
    Participant

Henri, what species is the striped nemacheilid loach you have? Do you have any clear pics of it at all?

I don’t know what species it is. They are small (3.5 – 4 cm SL), peaceful and aren’t very territorial.
    They have 6 barbels.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks for the pics Henri – two species or an older specimen with split bars in pic #1?

Kajsa12
    Participant

Yes, split bars.

This is #1 on 25-07-2010
    Sorry for the bad quality, couldn’t find another one at the moment.

The closest resemblance I could find was Longischistura striata.

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/longischistura-striata

Matt
    Keymaster

Those fish on LOL have been bugging me for a while. I’m not sure that’s Longischistura striatUS (correct spelling), plus they feature what is clearly the same fish as Schistura beavani which doesn’t appear to be the correct id either?

From Day’s original description of L. striata:

Colours. Reddish brown, with very narrow light-reddish vertical bands, most distinct in the posterior part of the body, where there are sixteen posterior to the commencement of the dorsal fin, and several more between that and the head, which last is marked all over with black lines and spots on a light reddish base. A very black bar exists at the base of the caudal fin. Dorsal fin with a light margin, bounded below by a jet-black band, and having a dark base, between which two marks it is brilliant orange. Anal orange, with some dull black spots. Caudal yellow, with some dull marks.

…and this is an image Madhu sent me which came labelled as L. striata and was collected near the type locality:

Now, G√ľnther’s Nemachilus beavani description in full:

Nemachilus beavani.
    D. 10. A. 7. V. 7.
    Scales inconspicuous. Caudal fin slightly emarginate. Origin of the dorsal fin midway between the end of the snout and root of the caudal. The height of the body is one-fifth of the total length (without caudal), the length of the head a little less than one-fourth. Snout as broad as deep, of moderate length, shorter than the postorbital portion of the head. Eye small. No nasal barbel. Upper margin of the dorsal fin rounded anteriorly, straight and oblique posteriorly. Length of the pectoral fin two-thirds of the distance of its root from the ventral. Free portion of the tail as long as deep. Body with nine dark cross bands, broader than the interspaces between; a black streak across the root of the caudal. Dorsal and caudal rays with blackish dots. Bengal. a. Two inches long. Kossye River. Presented by Lieut. R. C. Beavan.

And an image sent to me by Andrew Rao of what he thinks is the ‘real’ S. beavani, collected from West Bengal:

Any opinions welcome please! Henri’s fish and the ones on LOL all look like the same species to me but don’t appear to match either L. striatus or S. beavani? So what are they??

Henri, if it’s ok with you it might be worth splitting this topic and putting the loach id stuff in the ‘freshwater’ forum?

Attached files

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.