LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Wild Angels

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Neal-DA
    Participant

Hey all just picked up some wild caught angels

They were sold as altums but are the peruvian scalare’s (guy in the shop argued otherwise /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

dunc
    Keymaster

Mmm nice one Neal, how much did they set you back? Maculatus too? Awesome /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

Sorry, bit off topic /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” /> I’ve read pure RO with drips of hydrogen peroxide can be used to artificially hatch the eggs if you find you’re having problems.

Matt
    Keymaster

Very nice fish Neal. We had a group in at Tom’s last year. I’d go for a similar approach to yer wild caught Apistogramma first and then work from there. Very soft water, pH below 6 and maybe some leaf litter or peat fibre for the black water effect. It’s crazy but it might just work.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Neal-DA

If you visit the articles section of the Ryedale Aquarist Society website at http://www.ryedaleaquaristsociety.co.uk you will find ‘Angels at Christmas’ plus a reply article and these both give good ‘hints and tips’ for Angel breeding.

Regards David

dunc
    Keymaster

As far as I can see that article doesn’t specify whether or not wild angels were involved.

I was under the impression that breeding wild-caught Angels presented a tougher challenge than breeding captive-breds?

Matt
    Keymaster

I actually don’t think that the mass-bred angels you see everywhere can be referred to as P. scalare any more. The level of inbreeding and the fact that the fish being used for breeding are almost certainly many generations away from wild fish mean that their habits/water requirements etc. don’t resemble the wild fish at all. They’re even a different shape! When I get round to editing the angel profile in the knowledge base there will be two, Pterophyllum scalare and P. “scalare”. Common name for the second one would be “domestic angelfish” or something like that I suppose…

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

From what I am told the breeding of wild caught P. altum is extremely difficult whereas scalare from the wild can be bred without to many problems.

Yes the articles cover the Koi variety but the breeding hints and tips can be used for Angels which are either domestic or wild strains.

Regards David

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

I was told that altum do best in deep tanks …… Saw a few years back some friends breeding them.In my opinion,the problem with altums that we have available here is that most of them die after arrival probably due to poor conditioning and packing.

Matt
    Keymaster

They´re not so common and invariably in bad condition when they arrive here too, Haji. Most of the ones that come in as altum also seem to be wild scalare like Neal´s fish.

Neal-DA
    Participant

Yes matt they are adult fish, really good size too, atleast 7″ top to bottom!

Matt
    Keymaster

Sound very nice indeed mate

Phill Austen
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jun 10 2008, 04:12 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    They´re not so common and invariably in bad condition when they arrive here too, Haji. Most of the ones that come in as altum also seem to be wild scalare like Neal´s fish.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Phill, I doubt they even get P. altum here in Spain, the hobby here is weird. I was in England when I posted the message you quoted… /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.