LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Wild Zebra Danios?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Wild Zebra Danios?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

jfb
    Participant

I’m wondering if anyone knows if zebra danios (danio rerio) can survive the winter in any of the southern US states (TX, FL, sourthern CA, etc…) either in an outdoor pond or somewhere more natural like a stream or bay. I’ve found some web pages where people claim to have found zebra danios in the wild, but it’s not clear to me if they are really established anywhere. Any details (where and when) would be really appreciated. I’m a postdoc interested in comparing laboratory fish to more wildtype ones, without going to the Himalayas and getting truly native fish. I’m a novice so any input would be appreciated.

Martin Tversted
    Participant

Many danios and related fish can easily take at least down to 10C. Especially species from northern India and northern/highland Myanmar. Many are much more cold hardy than what you would be lieve. Ive had a few Danio magaritatus below 10C for a few weeks now.

Martin

jfb
    Participant

Hi Martin, thanks for the info. Are the fish outdoors (and if so where approximately) or is the 10C you mention in a controlled environment?

QUOTE (Martin Tversted @ Feb 4 2012, 05:55 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Many danios and related fish can easily take at least down to 10C. Especially species from northern India and northern/highland Myanmar. Many are much more cold hardy than what you would be lieve. Ive had a few Danio magaritatus below 10C for a few weeks now.

Martin

Martin Tversted
    Participant

In a controlled environment. All my aquarias are in a garage where it gets cold in winter. This means that I can follow whats going on during winter, plants whitering down, the turtles dig themself down into the mud, the fish moves around slower, the newts just doing what newts are doing despite any low temperature

racoll
    Participant

jfb, you’ll be wanting:

Cortemeglia, C. and Beitinger, T.L. (2006) Projected US distributions of transgenic and wildtype zebra danios, Danio rerio, based on temperature tolerance data. Journal of Thermal Biology 31: 422–428.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jtherbio.2006.01.011

Matt
    Keymaster

Are there transgenic fish existing in natural habitats already Rupert?

racoll
    Participant

Are there transgenic fish existing in natural habitats already Rupert?

Not that I know of. I think the study just wanted to know what the potential capacity was for transgenic danio to survive in the USA.

Let me know if you want the paper.

jfb
    Participant

QUOTE (racoll @ Feb 9 2012, 01:50 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    jfb, you’ll be wanting:

Cortemeglia, C. and Beitinger, T.L. (2006) Projected US distributions of transgenic and wildtype zebra danios, Danio rerio, based on temperature tolerance data. Journal of Thermal Biology 31: 422–428.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jtherbio.2006.01.011

Thanks!

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (racoll @ Feb 10 2012, 02:05 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Not that I know of. I think the study just wanted to know what the potential capacity was for
    Let me know if you want the paper.

Yes please!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.