LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Xenomystus nigri

Home Forums My Aquarium Xenomystus nigri

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  donovan 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

donovan
    Participant

I have two new xenomystus nigri that are going to be moved to a 210 litre as soon as the water has settled right now they are both about 9 centimeters long and I am having trouble finding some tankmates for them. any suggestions would be helpful.

Colin
    Participant

Hi Donovan

I found them to be quite un-aggressive with fish that were a similar size. They will eat small fish but leave pretty much everything else alone. I used to keep mine with various cichlids and catfish, I think that size and pH requirements would be your only restrictions

cheers

donovan
    Participant

thank you for the info Colin

i had them with mbunas, at that time i had three but the dominant male cichlid killed one, is it just the cichlid or are mbunas not compatible with them?

thanks again

Colin
    Participant

At the time (late 80s) I kept them in a 6 foot tank with Sorubim lima, severums, plecs, festivums, silver sharks and a few other bits and bobs

I dont think they would like the same water as Malawis, i think they prefer it softer and more acidic

cheers

donovan
    Participant

OK so sorubim lima, severums, plecostomus, festivums, and silver sharks. got it, I found a place selling Florida freshwater stingrays that max out in size at 35 cm. would these harm the knife or the other way around

cheers

Colin
    Participant

whats the scientific name?

donovan
    Participant

QUOTE (Colin @ Feb 19 2012, 09:11 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    whats the scientific name?

all it says is potamotrygon sp.
    that is pretty much general from what i have seen i will see if i can find an expansion of its name.

donovan
    Participant

here is a link to the site i found it on. if you recognize it please let me know. http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Live-Freshwa…a-Stingray.aspx

Matt
    Keymaster

Looks like Dasyatis sabina? Predominantly a marine species I think but has been recorded in the lower parts of some rivers.

donovan
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Feb 20 2012, 09:33 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Looks like Dasyatis sabina? Predominantly a marine species I think but has been recorded in the lower parts of some rivers.

is it compatible with my knifefish

Matt
    Keymaster

Doubt it would survive long-term in freshwater so the answer would have to be no I’m afraid. Also measures 50-60 cm across the disc when adult.

donovan
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Feb 20 2012, 10:00 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Doubt it would survive long-term in freshwater so the answer would have to be no I’m afraid. Also measures 50-60 cm across the disc when adult.

thank you, are there any small rays compatible with them. if not, any hill stream loaches or some form of bottom occupying fish?

Colin
    Participant

agree with Matt – these rays do not do well at all in aquaria – better with the loaches I think:)

donovan
    Participant

all right i will stick with the loaches then thank you.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.